I wonder if my Thermostat........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
"I wonder if my thermostat" in my double wall flue pipe, responds differently in the colder weather (didn't HAVE a flue pipe thermostat last winter), than it does in more moderate temp weather conditions?

I've noted that I very RARELY see it get "in the red zone" like it used to, when I build a hot fire (I build a hot fire every time I fire up the stove).

Thermometer coated so much that I'm not getting actual readings anymore? Colder temps (30's) affecting the smoke quickly, and not allowing it to get into the red zone? Thermometer already shot (supposed to be good for two years!)?

-Soupy1957

Soupy - don't see why colder weather would affect the temps on your pipe thermometer - perhaps you are running your fires a little differently this year? Turning down the air sooner? Any chance? Cheers!

The weather may effect it a little. When it gets colder your draft will increase and you may burn a little hotter. According to Condar, soot buildup shouldn't effect your probe thermometer readings.

Yeah, well it COULD be that I'm just doing a better job of monitoring and building a fire..........COULD just be that I learned a thing or two in here!!

-Soupy1957

Nah. Must be the weather. :lol:

Took the thermometer out of the flue pipe yesterday, in the afternoon when the stove wasn't lit because it was warm (relatively speaking) out. Not much of any buildup on it to wipe off.

-Soupy1957

Status
Not open for further replies.