I would like a little advice from my friends

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, everyone. Well, at the moment either a Caddy or Jack furnace is still in play. Or, if we do go with a stove, we are still considering the Summit or the Firelight or Oslo. The Summit is still in play as I like the big, unobstructed view of the fire. The Oslo joined the Firelight as I'm a bit put off by the obstruction caused by the double doors on the Firelight and the left hand door on the Oslo would work better for where it is going to go. Also, I'm thinking with the 70,000 BTU's and the 35,000 of the 3450 should be enough. After all, the Morso didn't do a bad job of heating the house by itself. I am concerned if the real burn times of the Oslo will be sufficient I (my Fireview has me really spoiled).

I'm curious why Jotul doesn't post their firebox sizes. Does anybody know what they are?

Oslo is about the same as your Fireview, the Firelight is about 3cu ft. I like those Caddy furnaces, they are EPA, have a good view of the fire and don't look like a typical wood furnace.

BrowningBAR said:
I got it; Keep the Fireview in the basement, keep the Morso and install it on the main floor, buy a third stove and put it in the second floor. That way I'm not the only forum member with three stoves in one house.

Your not as crazy as me I have 4 stoves. 3 wood and 1 gas. That's what you get when you install them for a living

Just saw this thread. I heat 2100 square feet easily with the Isle Royale. The only time it struggles is when it gets
to be 5 below or so. Even then it will do the job, if I stay with it and don't disappear for 8 hours or more at a time.
My walkout basement is fully insulated and finished. I've got carpet on the lower level floor. I think with a big firebox stove in the
lower level and more insulation, you could heat the first two floors of your house.

I'm planning the same setup with my next house, except right now I'm leaning towards a Mansfield in the lower level
of the walk-out basement. If I don't get the Mansfield, I'm going to get another Isle Royale. I was also interested
in the T6 but didn't feel a good connection with that Madison dealer.

VCBurner said:
"I mean given up the thought!"

I believe so. I gave it some thought and we only need heat in the basement on nights and weekends so the Morso would work better there. Plus, if the big stove is on the first floor, it gives me more flexibility with moving the heat up to the second story.

northwinds said:
Just saw this thread. I heat 2100 square feet easily with the Isle Royale. The only time it struggles is when it gets
to be 5 below or so. Even then it will do the job, if I stay with it and don't disappear for 8 hours or more at a time.
My walkout basement is fully insulated and finished. I've got carpet on the lower level floor. I think with a big firebox stove in the
lower level and more insulation, you could heat the first two floors of your house.

I'm planning the same setup with my next house, except right now I'm leaning towards a Mansfield in the lower level
of the walk-out basement. If I don't get the Mansfield, I'm going to get another Isle Royale. I was also interested
in the T6 but didn't feel a good connection with that Madison dealer.

About time you show up. ;-)

Maybe I should put the Isle Royale on the list? Does the top loading really work without you getting smoke in the room? Although I know Fireplace's techs are top rate, I was a little dismayed seeing that they list the material cost for the pipe for a 1 story install at almost $2000 when it would cost less than $600 at Menard's. I understand they need to have a greater mark-up and I have no problem with that but 3 times more seems a little much.

I agree about the PE dealer. I have stopped there several times and have yet to have a good experience with them. The first time I had a question about my Morso and when they found out I didn't buy it from them, wouldn't even talk to me. I did go back when I saw they were now carrying PE and the salesman working didn't know anything about them or even what models they had on the floor but told me I should come back when the other staff was back from the show they were at. So, I did go back but even after having them for over a month, they still aren't sure what they are selling for. It surprises me they are still in business.

Todd said:
Oslo is about the same as your Fireview, the Firelight is about 3cu ft. I like those Caddy furnaces, they are EPA, have a good view of the fire and don't look like a typical wood furnace.

That's interesting. They seemed larger than that. I sure wish there was some standard that was legitimate. If the Firelight is 3 cf it is the same size as the Isle Royale but they list at 81,500 and 66,700 BTU respectively. Doesn't make much sense.

The Jotul dealer is also a PSG dealer so I will have to ask them about the Caddy.

wendell said:
About time you show up. ;-)

Maybe I should put the Isle Royale on the list? Does the top loading really work without you getting smoke in the room? Although I know Fireplace's techs are top rate, I was a little dismayed seeing that they list the material cost for the pipe for a 1 story install at almost $2000 when it would cost less than $600 at Menard's. I understand they need to have a greater mark-up and I have no problem with that but 3 times more seems a little much.

I've only used the top-loading perhaps a half dozen times. Smoke was never a problem, but I find it much easier to load
through the double front doors. I probably stack a little higher than I should at times, and you can't do that with top-loading
Isle Royale. The back of the firebox is narrower than the front two-thirds. If I've got the front doors open, filling it all the way in
the back seems less awkward than trying to place it into the back from the top.

I hear what you're saying about the chimney material prices. I'm not personally handy enough to go the Menards route, especially
on my two story install, without risking violation of the "keep the wife happy" rule.

So your getting rid of the Fireview? I still think the Fireview on your main floor will do the job and the Morso can take the chill off the basement. How long of the 6 month warranty do you have left? But then again it would be nice to just have a single wood burner in the basement that could handle the whole job like a Caddy, tough decisions. Here's another wrench thrown in the mix, maybe the large Blaze king could do it?

The King and the Princess if I use both stoves would probably do the job but man, that is one ugly stove. :cheese:

Oh, yes. I've been there many times. If i decide to go with the Summit I would probably use them.

Probably going to scratch the Caddy off the list. I think it is a great option but as I suspected, the install would be intense. All of the ducting in the basement would need to be changed to make it work and that ain't gonna be cheap. I have a friend who does HVAC and he probably could handle it but I would feel more comfortable with the dealer since they have done them before but it would be over $5000 installed.

I looked at the Firelight again today but they had it burning so we measured the Firebox of the Oslo and it was 2.3 cf so I'm guesstimating the F600 must be in the neighborhood of 3.3-3.5. I also looked at the Isle Royale again and it is certainly still in the running but I really like the Blue Black enamel the F600 comes in.

Wendell:

Is there a 'Euro-style' stove that has the firebox size (and load length) you're looking for?

My sense is that you really liked the Morso (including its looks), but it just wasn't up to the task.

I say keep the 'high style' stove (Morso) upstairs, and buy a true work horse for downstairs.

If and when I finally 'graduate' from the ornate beast I have, I'm thinking about the Englander 13 NC - (bogus bright trim removed) - though the 30 would probably be better suited for you... or even the PE Fusion.

I'm a Henry Ford kind of a guy and think utility stove appearance should be simple... and black.

Despite the fact that I've been nursing the same antiquity for over 30 years now.

Shoot Me.

Peter B.

-----

Just another thought to consider. I'm not trying to make the decision harder. But, another thing to consider is heating your self out of the room where the stove is installed, as you had noted with your original purchase. On this stove comparison page, minimum heating capabilities are listed as well as max. They go on to explain that the stats don't always tell the tale and are just another helpful guideline when deciding on a stove. Well, you are familiar with this site and may also have already looked at this page. Have you looked at the Hearthstone Bennington (really large viewing door)? Almost looks similar to the Isle Royal, with different sizes: http://chimneysweeponline.com/wscompha.htm

wendell said:
Oh, yes. I've been there many times. If i decide to go with the Summit I would probably use them.

Probably going to scratch the Caddy off the list. I think it is a great option but as I suspected, the install would be intense. All of the ducting in the basement would need to be changed to make it work and that ain't gonna be cheap. I have a friend who does HVAC and he probably could handle it but I would feel more comfortable with the dealer since they have done them before but it would be over $5000 installed.

I looked at the Firelight again today but they had it burning so we measured the Firebox of the Oslo and it was 2.3 cf so I'm guesstimating the F600 must be in the neighborhood of 3.3-3.5. I also looked at the Isle Royale again and it is certainly still in the running but I really like the Blue Black enamel the F600 comes in.

"F600 looks pretty impressive. Is there a dealer near you where you could possibly compare it side by side with the Isle Royal?"

Thanks, guys! I drove 37 miles east today to take a look at a Summit they had on display. As someone said on another thread, it is a black soulless cube. But an impressive one at that. Interestingly enough, he is also a Jotul dealer and says that he will no longer sell the Firelight as he had so many problems with them cracking. I am interested in the Summit if I install it downstairs and the Morso upstairs. That will not give me as much heat upstairs in the morning. I could go with the T6 upstairs but it is too deep to work well in the room it would be going in. I also was reading another thread where Summit said he has owned both a Firelight and a Summit and that the Firelight really needs to be in a big open room which I don't have so I think maybe the Firelight may not be the right choice.

This may sound odd but almost wondering if the Oslo would be enough if I put it upstairs.

I think the Oslo or a similar sized PE T-5 would do fine along with the Morso in the basement. The T-5 fire box is well known as a long burner. The upper level will still be somewhat cooler but not as cool as a single big stove in the basement.

Well, I think I'm down to a T6 or Isle Royale.

Did you get a price on the T6, and where?

I'd still like to keep that one my list too.

At the moment, I have just checked the price at chimneysweeponline. It's $2400 there.

When I was reading about these stoves I saw the term "Extended Burn Technology" for the Summit and T6 but didn't think about it much, assuming it was just a marketing gimmick. Gave PE a call today to find out what it was and then read about it on chimneysweeponline and it actually sounds kinda cool. I think the T6 just pulled into the lead. ;-)

Also, I thought I better check with my insurance company to make sure 2 stoves wouldn't get there undies in a bunch and they were cool. "Just give us a call when it is installed so we an note it on your policy."

T6 sure does look nice:
Construction: Plate Steel / Cast Iron
Heating Efficiency: 80.3%
Particulate Emissions: 3.56 grams/hr
Maximum Output: 97,000 BTU/hr
Heating Capacity: 2000 - 3000 sq. ft.
Firebox Size: 3.0 cu. ft.
Hardwood Capacity: 60 lbs
Maximum Log Length: 20"
Flue Size: 6"
Dimensions: 29-1/8"T x 29-1/4"W x 28-3/4"D
Shipping Weight: 585 lbs

I love the sliding trivets that double as warming shelves! Combined with it's large fire viewing window sounds like what you like.

Attachments

• pacaldert6topa.jpg
    pacaldert6topa.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 262
Status
Not open for further replies.