I would like a little advice from my friends

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Choose your stove size by BTU need. Take all of your space
heating needs into consideration. Do not use only square footage
as the deciding factor. Heat loss varies greatly by home design and
materials.

PS Making it your dream stove helps!

Although the top loading of the Isle Royale may be one of the best characteristics of any stove. It's nice not having to bend down to load your fire box. Plus 14-19 hour burn times? That even out burns your fireview!!

Isle Royale

Width(inches):29
Height(inches): 30
Depth(inches): 24-5/8
Weight(lbs):480
Peak Btu/hr*(On High): 66,700
Max. Burn Time (On Low): 14.5-19.5 hrs
Firebox Capacity (cu. ft.): 3.0
Max. Log Length 22"
Emissions (g/hr) 2.9
Efficiency 73%

Attachments

• ISLEROYALE_LG.jpg
    ISLEROYALE_LG.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 265
I did not see anyone suggesting putting a register grate in the floor preferably above the stove,something about 2 Sq Ft at least , and another
at the opposite end of the 1st floor for a cool air return. I heated a 3000 Sq ft 100 year old home with a fanforced floor vent less than 1 Sq ft
,fan forced is the key word here.
Got a 25 hour burn last night from my trusty harman TL-300.

VCBurner said:
Although the top loading of the Isle Royale may be one of the best characteristics of any stove. It's nice not having to bend down to load your fire box. Plus 14-19 hour burn times? That even out burns your fireview!!

Isle Royale

Max. Log Length 22"
Emissions (g/hr) 2.9
Efficiency 73%

I love my Isle Royale, but 14.5 to 19.5 hr burn times are fantasy unless you're talking about a live coal that is dug out
from under the ash bed.

northwinds said:
VCBurner said:

Isle Royale

Max. Log Length 22"
Emissions (g/hr) 2.9
Efficiency 73%

I love my Isle Royale, but 14.5 to 19.5 hr burn times are fantasy unless you're talking about a live coal that is dug out
from under the ash bed.

"I guess they are falsely advertising then, because I copied and pasted that information from page 10 of the quadra fire brochure. Look for your self: http://www.quadrafire.com/downloads/brochures/bro_woodStoves.pdf"

VCBurner said:
northwinds said:
VCBurner said:

Isle Royale

Max. Log Length 22"
Emissions (g/hr) 2.9
Efficiency 73%

from under the ash bed.

"I guess they are falsely advertising then, because I copied and pasted that information from page 10 of the quadra fire brochure. Look for your self: http://www.quadrafire.com/downloads/brochures/bro_woodStoves.pdf"

As a long time motorcycle rider I have learned stats from the brochure are usually only creative thoughts from the marketing department.

...and this is coming from someone that works in advertising and marketing.

Dimensions, BTUs, firebox size, log length, clearances. Hard numbers that are tough to fudge.

Heating sq footage, burn times, super secret clean burn technology; Stretched to the limits by the marketing department

BrowningBAR said:
VCBurner said:
northwinds said:
VCBurner said:

Isle Royale

Max. Log Length 22"
Emissions (g/hr) 2.9
Efficiency 73%

from under the ash bed.

As a long time motorcycle rider I have learned stats from the brochure are usually only creative thoughts from the marketing department.

...and this is coming from someone that works in advertising and marketing.

Dimensions, BTUs, firebox size, log length, clearances. Hard numbers that are tough to fudge.

Heating sq footage, burn times, super secret clean burn technology; Stretched to the limits by the marketing department

" :) Great observation! I PM'd you a couple minutes ago. What happened to the Fireview?"

VCBurner said:
" :) Great observation! I PM'd you a couple minutes ago. What happened to the Fireview?"

Ummm... yeah, about that Fireview....

I sent you a PM recapping the story. There is also a thread on here, somewhere, which I complain and share my sob story at length. Violins were playing, children weeping, and an angel definitely did not get there wings.

Don't cry for me Hearth.com.

Time for an update. The Fireview is on it's way back, the Morso is hooked back up and doing it's usual great job of kicking out the heat (makes me almost want to put the 3610 on the list but they are just so darn expensive) and with the sale that PE is rumored to be about ready to run, I'm going to need to decide here pretty quick.

I still like the looks of the Oslo best, especially in the blue/black enamel (especially seeing the marks, etc. on the 3450 after only a couple years of use). I am not concerned about not having coals in the morning but am worried the usable heat won't be sufficient, making the house a little chilly in the morning.

I don't care for the double doors on the Firelight as much and in B/B it gets to be a bit more $ than I would like to spend. I'm also thinking it may be a bit much for as not-open my floor plan is.

The T6 is still right at the top of the list but I'm not too keen on buying a stove I have never seen. The 2 most local dealers have a T5 on display which to me is too boxy but I am hopeful the T6 being wider will be more attractive to my eye. They are saying there is an enamel version in the works but no time table and no color commitment.

I am intrigued by the Summit Classic but again, not being to see the actual stove in the different colors gives me pause. The black appears way too shiny from the pictures I have seen (which may be the color they are going to do the T6 in). I think I would regret once I got it installed but I actually like the looks of the red version with black legs, trivet and door.

So, probably not much here I haven't said before but wanted to recap (probably mostly for myself).

wendell said:
The T6 is still right at the top of the list but I'm not too keen on buying a stove I have never seen. The 2 most local dealers have a T5 on display which to me is too boxy but I am hopeful the T6 being wider will be more attractive to my eye. They are saying there is an enamel version in the works but no time table and no color commitment.

wendall,

if it means anything to ya, my wife wanted the T5 UNTIL she saw the T6, and we had to drive around quite a bit to find a T6. We did not see the stoves side by side, but at two different dealers ~ 2 hrs apart. her thoughts were exactly as you stated above after she had seen each stove, she thought the T5 looked a little "boxy" and when I added the viewing area is larger on the T6, the deal was done. I wanted the larger T6 all along , but was willing to compromise as the stove was being put into a large kitchen area and she has the final word on all things inside the home ;)

It has worked out fine, we added the blower second yr. as in < 20 degree days, the stove can not heat our 3000+ sqft "glassy house" without the furnace coming on. Oct/Nov, March on the furnace is off.

The most pleasant attribute to us is that you can get real close to these stoves without sunburning yourself, so you do not have to worry about proximity issues with people, furniture etc..

Pics in signature link below.

Thanks for the link to your pics.

I just re-read the whole thread and it is interesting how this has progressed. At the moment, after re-reading everyone's ideas and giving it some more thought is the blue/black Oslo is slightly in the lead with the T6 close behind. I realize I'm getting myself into a bit of an apples/oranges dilemma here but it is what it is.

Hey Wedell, just to throw another wrench into the mix. According to Summit, Jotul is comming out with a new top loading stove in the 2cu ft range? Suppose to be out next Fall hopefully.

Probably not too big of a wrench. Top loading isn't too big a deal to me, especially if they are just coming out with a new design that is bound to have a few bugs.

Summit and I have been exchanging PM's and I think he has me convinced that with my chopped up floor plan, a PE is the way to go.

Now, is it the T6, a Summit Classic so I can have an easy maintenance enamel stove or wait until fall and see if they come out with the T6 enamel in a color I will like (if it is ready by fall at all)?

wendell said:
Time for an update. The Fireview is on it's way back, the Morso is hooked back up and doing it's usual great job of kicking out the heat (makes me almost want to put the 3610 on the list but they are just so darn expensive) and with the sale that PE is rumored to be about ready to run, I'm going to need to decide here pretty quick.I still like the looks of the Oslo best, especially in the blue/black enamel (especially seeing the marks, etc. on the 3450 after only a couple years of use). I am not concerned about not having coals in the morning but am worried the usable heat won't be sufficient, making the house a little chilly in the morning.I don't care for the double doors on the Firelight as much and in B/B it gets to be a bit more $ than I would like to spend. I'm also thinking it may be a bit much for as not-open my floor plan is.The T6 is still right at the top of the list but I'm not too keen on buying a stove I have never seen. The 2 most local dealers have a T5 on display which to me is too boxy but I am hopeful the T6 being wider will be more attractive to my eye. They are saying there is an enamel version in the works but no time table and no color commitment.I am intrigued by the Summit Classic but again, not being to see the actual stove in the different colors gives me pause. The black appears way too shiny from the pictures I have seen (which may be the color they are going to do the T6 in). I think I would regret once I got it installed but I actually like the looks of the red version with black legs, trivet and door.So, probably not much here I haven't said before but wanted to recap (probably mostly for myself).
Thats funny the red one with the black trim is the one I just bought, I found out today it is in and they hope to bring it next week.

If you search back for Roospike's stove or 'whorehouse red' you should see some shots of it. It is a handsome combo. Also here, though the color is pumped up a bit from the actual unit:
http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/bigsummc.htm

Also Tom has a neat ability on his website to see the various summit colors.:
http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/slideshows/pacsumclass/jclicker2/template2/index.php? show=black

But personally, from what I've read, I think you folks would love the T6. So far after a couple years the stove is still looking very nice.

Thanks, BG. I appreciate your input. My wife and I both like the look of Roospike's stove but we both would need to see one in person before we would commit to buying one and no one around here has any color of Summit Classic.

So it looks like the T6 is it. But, of course, I've heard good things about the NC-30. Maybe I should consider one of those? :bug:

wendell said:
Thanks, BG. I appreciate your input. My wife and I both like the look of Roospike's stove but we both would need to see one in person before we would commit to buying one and no one around here has any color of Summit Classic.

So it looks like the T6 is it. But, of course, I've heard good things about the NC-30. Maybe I should consider one of those? :bug:
I just went with blind faith on the red summit, next week I will know if the color is what I had in mind, the wife and I both picked the red one so no problem there. :)

wendell said:

Ha ha, don't rush it, you have all summer to look and think about it. Just wait til Woodstock unveils it's new stove, you will be drooling all over that stove to! :lol:

My goal is to keep the cost of the new stove the same as what the Fireview cost so the new one will be out of my league. Plus, I'm doubtful they will do much to improve their rear clearance which will not work where the new stove needs to go.

This just in from PE:

"Later this year, porcelain enamel in Ebony Black and Majolica Brown will be available only on our mid-sized Alderlea free standing wood stove, the T5."

Odd they are only offering the enamel in the T5. But, at least that limits my choices.

wendell said:
My goal is to keep the cost of the new stove the same as what the Fireview cost so the new one will be out of my league. Plus, I'm doubtful they will do much to improve their rear clearance which will not work where the new stove needs to go.

Don't know about the price but I know the new stove will be a combo rear or top exhaust so it should have better rear clearances.

Well, after all of this, my plans probably just got put on hold as my wife just spent all of my stove money at the dentist this morning. :shut:

Guess the 3 cords of wood I scrambled to get c/s/s at 20" long to be ready for this fall ain't gonna do me no good.

Oh, well, maybe something good will happen but I'm probably going to miss out on the sale at any rate.

I feel your pain, I want either the new Woodstock or that new top loading Jotul but now I have too many other expenses cutting into my stove savings.

wendell said:
Well, after all of this, my plans probably just got put on hold as my wife just spent all of my stove money at the dentist this morning. :shut:

You too huh? Happened to me in January. She went in and came out and the dentist made a down payment on a new Lexus. She now chews with the better part of that heat pump I was going to buy. :mad:

Todd said:
or that new top loading Jotul

Wait, what's this about? New Jotul? Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.