I would really like to use my stove right now. . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it drives me crazy and gets me really frustrated which also makes me warm because I'm angry inside! Now if I could find a way to heat the whole house with my anger! Hehe

Woops, the stupid agency just changed their rules this year. It is no longer enough to just have no other adequate form of heat. You have to apply for the exemption annualy and be approved. Also, get this, you won't get that exemption if your other heating system was unhooked, damaged, malfunctioned, or somehow not working. So if your house ever had some sort of heat that was ever adequate then you may not burn during a ban.

Oh well, maybe tonight I'll just burn the electrons.

ban is suppose to last all week and maybe into next week, although we had a little wind and moisture today i thought they may of put it back to a stage 1, but just checked and they did not:mad: Of course they implement the ban when we are in this cold snap

To be fair, they did start out with a stage 1 ban for a couple of days. I actually don't mind stage one bans because it just might encourage folks to move up to clean burning stoves.

My bedrooms are at 55 degrees right now, stove room at 62. In about an hour I'll be smelling the dust burning off of the wall heaters.

Seems every year I get all worked up about these stupid bans and go out thinking I am going install some other sort of heat. It is cheaper to just run the wall heaters for a week or two than it is to install another system.

Even the fancy minisplits don't seem to make much heat when it is 19 out.

No kidding on the bad timing. It was 22 degrees last night and I was up in Everett today around noon and it was dumping snow!

No kidding on the bad timing. It was 22 degrees last night and I was up in Everett today around noon and it was dumping snow!

well I would not say dumping, but yeah we had a little snow today, at least it is not as cold out as it was over the weekend

To be honest I found out about the ban around 5PM yesterday and of course already had the stove going, I burned North Idaho logs the remainder of the day / night. So far today have not lit the stove but have contemplated on doing so with some North Idaho logs as they do not smoke. Throw a couple super ceders in to get them going

The problem isn't the responsible burners that are following the standard law of burning smoke free. If the agency would enforce their current rules during the regular burn season I expect that the smoke problem would be resolved. Air quality really improved over night, also, the agencies forecast is for acceptable air quality tomorrow and yet the stage 2 ban remains in place.

Woops, the stupid agency just changed their rules this year. It is no longer enough to just have no other adequate form of heat. You have to apply for the exemption annualy and be approved. Also, get this, you won't get that exemption if your other heating system was unhooked, damaged, malfunctioned, or somehow not working. So if your house ever had some sort of heat that was ever adequate then you may not burn during a ban.

Oh well, maybe tonight I'll just burn the electrons.

Sounds like the only way around the ban is to build a new house with wood as the only heat source.

they changed it to a stage 1 at 1PM this afternoon, I am up and burning :)

Glad I don't live in Washington State!

For burning, I agree. But the state of Washington is pretty damn nice.
I was only referring to wood burning.. I think other states have bans at certain times too..

Ray

Yes, I lit up at 12:30 just to push my luck. I can understand delaying the start of a ban to allow people to prepare but when they are going to lift the ban it should be immediate. That's it, I want to run that program.

Actually a bit surprised they lifted it since the reason for the ban is still just as valid as ever. Regardless, I'm glad they let the certified guys burn.

Reactions: raybonz
Still under a stage 2 in Thurston County

I think it all boils down to the dam government and electric, gas and oil companies. A lot of people are going to wood stoves because electric, oil, and gas are so expensive. When people do that they are taking away money for the companies so they call up the EPA or who ever puts the ban into effect and tell them to put the ban in effect for x number of days so people will have to use another heat other than wood trying to regain that money they lost.:mad:

I guess the burn bans have nothing to do with the mountains surrounding the coastal lowlands, the on-shore winds going over them, the stagnant air mass caught below the winds between the mountains and the coast, and how long it takes for that air mass to rid itself of the particulate matter from the smoke.

I lived in LA for a while and know what it is like...

KaptJaq

But I can't because there is another "Stage 2" burn ban in my county! Grrr!

I was out in the driveway today splitting some wood when someone that was power walking thru the neighborhood stopped to tell me that if I was burning I could be fined $1000. I pointed to my chimney and asked if if it looked like I was burning and he said nope. Well little does he know that I was but the exhaust was totally clear. Hehe

I'm soon tired of these burn bans!
As long as we all understand the conspiracy theory that there are govt officials getting kickbacks in the form of campaign contributions form big time energy producers to make sure that we cannot burn our own fuel.......

With a Stage 2, do you have to stop buring the medicinal?

Washington State is nice, but the state of Washington is a mess.

"The policy of the American government is to leave their citizens free, neither restraining nor aiding them in their pursuits." -- Thos. Jefferson

Yay I just got an email that said the ban is lifted in King county and dropped to a stage 1 in Snohomish and Pierce!

Well I'm off to fire up the stove!

Great new LS burn on!

Ray

Does anyone see a pattern here?
This is the kind of thing that happens when people feel that Government is the answer instead of the problem.

We have a mild climate and fairly reasonable electric rates. During a burn ban we just run the heat pump more. I look out of my office across the water at Seattle. You can see the smokey haze.I was glad for the stage one. It stopped my neighbor from burning his smudge pot fireplace that stinks up the whole neighborhood.

When one considers the dramatic increase in asthma cases alone, I can appreciate that folks are affected by smoke. We're all on this fragile spaceship together. Best to get along and pay attention to our swill.

Yay I just got an email that said the ban is lifted in King county and dropped to a stage 1 in Snohomish and Pierce!

Well I'm off to fire up the stove!
went to stage 1 yesterday, you could of fired up then, i know i did

Status
Not open for further replies.