i2400 or i3100 big or medium insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pepp

Aug 8, 2008
ct
hello all i put deposit on regency i2400 my house is 2200 sq feet ranch 12' ceiling room where insert is going
open floor plan after doing a more home work thinking about upgrading to i3100 250 more want to get overnight burns and try to eliminate gas heat have 4 cord 2 year seasoned red &white;oak 3 more cord 1 year seasoned red oak cut and stacked
i2400 rated at 75000 btu box size 2.3 and 1000 to 2000 sq feet 8 hour burn time i3100 80000btu box size 2.9 1800-3000 sq feet
2 ceiling fans in the same room and ac return for bag room kitchen next to this room with 12 ceilings and fans also and ac return in this room for bedrooms of the kitchen down the hall live in south east ct some times gets in the low teens
any info would be great thanks
new windows,roof and siding well insulated

Welcome pepp If it will fit, go for the bigger box. In your climate it will do a better job at what you have specified.

Using the central air system often is inefficient due to duct losses and higher electrical consumption. For a ranch, often you can get good circulation with a fan on the floor. (a nice box fan or 12" table fan will do.) The object is to place the fan low, in a colder area, blowing towards the source of heat. In your case that might be the bedroom hallway. Together with the insert blower, this could be all you need.

I have the medium Regencey insert, I wish I could have put the larger one in but due to mantel clearance issues I had to go smaller.
Rusty

I was at the same crossroad and found the HI300 by hampton, it is the same exact stove as the Regency i2400 with a cast face. If I could have gotten the 3100 with the cast face I would have. That being said the 2400 will definitely heat great but guys always want overkill!!! :lol: BTW, I heat 1400 sqaure feet in Wiscosin in ALL weather with no problems with mine and I need to install a block off plate and seal the top, it has opened up last winter. Either should do a good job if you have decent windows and weatherstripping. I could be wrong but I think my climate is cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.