I'am addicted to hearth.com

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDGERUNNER30

Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2009
Eastern, Kentucky
I was wondering how many of you guys wife's think you are crazy talking about wood burning all the time. I believe my wife would like to have a mental evaulation done on me,since i purchased my sove this spring and build my hearth pad and put in a stainless chimmey in, It's like i have got a fever to want to burn that baby all night,cannot wait for those cold nights to come. My wife ask me the other night who in the world thinks about wood burning in the summertime and I told her that I found a group of guy's that are just like me honey,but I really don't thinks am crazy it just the rest of the world that is messed up.

dunno if i m craving the need to burn wood right now, but i agree that the whole concept is a big man thing. i sell and install this stuff all day, and it never gets old.. people have alot of fun when they get the fire goin' in their house; from wood, pellet, even gas... its cool to have it and to look at it and feel it go in the cold winter. you gotta mess with it, and your schedule and way of messin with it is typically something the old lady don't get in your way about. I gotta admit, i am addicted, too! I am glad we have this site!

Obviously I have no life. Look at the post count. :red: Wandered in here four years ago looking for information on some Jotul gas stoves I bought from the bankruptcy court and needed to sell. I had no idea that there were so many other wood burning addicts. I thought everybody but me quit doing that after the 80's. Found a place with a ton of people that share my interest in wood burning and learned a lot. It has cost me a fortune. Now the chimneys are all lined, the stoves are all EPA certified and the two latest high dollar chimney caps arrived last week.

I should have joined myspace or facebook. It would have been cheaper but not near as much fun. My wife loves it. Keeps me out of her hair.

My wife thinks I am CRAZY too! I can't wait for winter! If I am not burnin wood I am cuttin it, splittin it or thinkin about it. Maybe I am crazy after all!

Hence the nickname from my family "WoodButcher". My brother-in-law from Maine pointed this site out to me in March of 06.
And I quote "I've found the perfect website for you and your wood stash photos"

WoodButcher

I dunno, the SO was here, checking out my scrounged wood (the neighbor across the street trimmed some trees, and had 3 wheel barrow loads laying out on the the street, so I knocked on the door and asked ;-) ), and I told him that I have almost enough wood for next year.

He looked at me funny :p

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
I dunno, the SO was here, checking out my scrounged wood (the neighbor across the street trimmed some trees, and had 3 wheel barrow loads laying out on the the street, so I knocked on the door and asked ;-) ), and I told him that I have almost enough wood for next year.

He looked at me funny :p

Ask the SO if he likes being warm in winter. When you are busy feeding. The rest is his problem.

Yeah, my wife just accepts it now. She likes seeing the fire and having the temp in the 70s so everybody wins.

ditto that

RIDGERUNNER30 said:
I told her that I found a group of guy's

You might let her know some of us are women too. If she is home during the day and gets to tend the fire - watch out. She may take over. ;-)

My husband liked having fires in our old open fireplace years ago but once I discovered EPA inserts he has been left in the 'ashes'.

I am clearly, and proudly, the addicted one in this house I even have to hide scrounged wood that I get from neighbors. I just hate justifying why more wood - especially free wood - is not a bad thing.

So glad I found this forum. A place where I feel 'normal'. :coolsmile:

Its one of the most healthy addictions I know and it benefit's more than that one person addicted. If I had to heat with Oil, I couldnt of afforded for my wife to stay home and raise the kids and drive a new reliable car for their activities. Well thats what I tell her anyways. ;-) Heating with wood, for me does save me $$$. 8 to 10 months is allot of oil consumption. It does take allot of time also but its good bonding time with my two boys and they are learning what work and responsibility is. Helps me think about things and helps me keep my sanity. You cant put a price on that either. Cheers
N of 60

OH YA by the way (hearth.com) never heard of it... :lol:

perplexed said:
I just hate justifying why more wood - especially free wood - is not a bad thing.

I was asked if we are survivalists this past weekend by a passerby looking at the garden and woodpile. I smiled while eying the wood drying in the sun, then went back to my pile of fresh picked beans and a beer. Why bother trying to justify it?

I haven't even hooked up the Jotul yet...but I've already scrounged wood, split wood, stacked wood and ordered wood. Also, I've spotted two downed and semi cut up trees near my house. I really need to get a chainsaw!

I think my wife has the burn fever as well. Last week, the sales guy and I were loading the Castine on to our trailer and my wife was scoping out the showroom. When we got back inside, she started asking the sales guy questions about the Nordic and if that could be intalled into an existing brick fireplace. She then asked about installation, what's needed and all that stuff. So, if everything goes well, we may be looking at ANOTHER wood stove in the near future.

RIDGERUNNER30 said:
I was wondering how many of you guys wife's think you are crazy talking about wood burning all the time. I believe my wife would like to have a mental evaulation done on me,since i purchased my sove this spring and build my hearth pad and put in a stainless chimmey in, It's like i have got a fever to want to burn that baby all night,cannot wait for those cold nights to come. My wife ask me the other night who in the world thinks about wood burning in the summertime and I told her that I found a group of guy's that are just like me honey,but I really don't thinks am crazy it just the rest of the world that is messed up.

Only 34 threads in and you're addicted to this site . . . I'm sorry . . . there's no hope for you now. Please do yourself a favor and go the nearest Hearth.com Anonymous Meeting in your town as soon as possible . . . there are meetings in most every town and state . . . usually these meetings occur in area woodlots or woodsheds, but occasionally, during the cooler months, they meet inside member's homes where you can gather around the Hearthstone, Jotul, Englander, etc. stove and share your stories and tales of woe about your addiction to heating with wood.

-----------

We are Hearth.com . . . resistance is futile . . . you will be assimilated.

------------

All kidding aside . . . welcome to the addiction pal (sorry, a play on the Bruce Willis line from Die Hard . . . couldn't help myself). Like many folks here you now have the fever

. . . you will find yourself admiring your woodstove even in the warmer months when it's just sitting there doing nothing
. . . you will find yourself wandering by your woodpile to admire the gray, checked wood
. . . you will find yourself building small campfires in your backyard and burn off some junk wood just as a way of easing that deep yearning to burn
. . . you will find yourself looking in stove shops, yard sales and Craigs List ads at other woodstoves even if your own woodstove works perfectly fine
. . . you will want more toys -- I mean tools -- like chainsaws, splitters, axes, ATVs, tractors, gloves, etc.
. . . you will find yourself checking hearth.com and religiously reading threads even if you don't really know anything about the topic or care to know anything on the topic on the off chance the thread may be interesting or informative
. . . you will often stare at trees and fantasize cutting them down, chunking them up and splitting them
. . . you will see wood beside the road and wonder if anyone has claimed that wood -- even if you already have enough wood to burn for three years or more
. . . you will continually be refining your wood processing operation in an effort to make the process faster, easier or more efficient
. . . you will come up with new projects around the house -- such as building woodsheds or woodracks

and,the first thing you will do every morning is open the curtains and stare lovingly out at all those stacks of wood.
And, start thinking you need to get an even bigger, better stove. %-P

My wife is always saying to me "Don't you have enough firewood already?" She remembers the old ways of cutting wood in the morning and putting it in the stove that night, when we were kids. She sees that the neighbors' yards have very little wood in them, which is because they still follow that method, and most of them have boilers now that they burn just about anything in anyway. She just doesn't understand the difference between ugly seasoned wood and bright, pretty, freshly-cut-looking wood, it takes years to get the ugly seasoned look. Sometimes I remind her that our house takes 2500 gallons of LP gas to heat it per year without the woodstove, or 0 gallons per year with the stove. Then she's quiet about it for awhile.

i like wood heat don't you?......and no I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM
th_bumpinknots001-1.jpg

th_march162009008.jpg

th_march162009009.jpg

th_dryingracks006.jpg

th_FMGSFIRSTHANDSPLITLOAD006.jpg

th_MYWOODSHED005.jpg

th_augoak2008032.jpg

th_conwaylakelot045.jpg

th_atvlogarch.jpg

th_STONEMTWOODLOT040-1.jpg

th_conwaylakelot007.jpg

th_conwaylakelot005.jpg

th_SPRINGPUTTOGETHER100.jpg

th_shop001.jpg

th_SHOPWOODSTOVE.jpg

th_SHOP007-1.jpg

th_1-TON018.jpg

th_390XP001.jpg

th_partslocations013.jpg

th_Feildtestingfactoryproto-type3120.png

th_dogchopper003Quicke-mailview.jpg

ok so i went overboard......there are worst things in life to get addicted to :-/

I started reading this board for a few months before joining. I admit I am hooked and was a cut split in the same year you burn type until being edgumicated on here. I now have 2+ years supply C/S/S and am amazed that it it August and I am still searching the board regularly. I cannot wait until I burn true dry seasoned wood.
Welcome to a fun addiction.

Even after the years we've been burning wood I still get a happy feeling every time I pass my woodpiles. It reminds me of work I have done, work still left to do (put it in the stove) and the warmth it will bring during the colder months, but especially the dollars it saves us in not having to buy oil or propane.

As for the site, I do visit most days just to see if I can help someone or perhaps learn a thing or two myself.

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone. I've been checking out this site since last fall and just recently registered. I never burned wood growing up but when I bought my house it had a wood burning insert in it. With the prices of oil last year I decided to fire her up. I had a flex liner installed and began the addiction. I currently have just shy of 4 cords of scrounged wood (which I check regularly and smile every morning when I see the sun beating down on it). I can safely say that I apply to every one of the notes that firefighterjake has under his post. I've learned A LOT from this forum and look forward to learning more.

I added another one or two . . .

. . . you fear no pine and will burn pine willingly in your woodstove even though all your neighbors are alarmed and claim that doing so will result in you becoming very friendly with your local fire fighters.a

. . . you know of at least three wood burning myths and can debunk those myths.

. . . you know that when you want to relax, the best way is to leisurely split up some wood or take some quality time stacking that wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.