ICC Ultrablack vs Selkirk DSP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scooby074

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2011
Nova Scotia
Sort of related to my "Creosote" thread https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...entify-this-buildup-how-do-i-clean-it.103160/

Im going to re-do my stove pipe to where it meets the Selkirk. I plan on making it a straight shot and removing the T and 90*.
IMG_4467.jpg

So now the question of brands:

Locally all that is available is either the Selkirk DSP or the ICC Ultrablack.

I looked at the Selkirk the other day and wasn't that impressed. The centre pipe is just sort of floating and the connector areas dont look "finished". Price was considerably cheaper than the ICC at $113 for a 40"-68" telescoping section.

Tomorrow I plan on looking at the ICC in person. I looked at them online, and the connector area looks much more finished. I talked to the dealer via phone today and he said that they laser weld the seams so they are truly seamless and the ICC is really a "Lifetime" pipe. Downside is cost at $190 for the same telescoping section.

Im really leaning to the ICC, mostly because it just looks better, well that, and a fireman friend of mine said that he's seen the Selkirk DSP split open in a flue fire!!! .

Is the ICC a better product and worth the added cost? I plan on upgrading my flue to it tomorrow if it is.

ICC is excellent, but I don't know if it is recommended to connect one manufacturer's pipe to another's chimney. They likely won't join well....don't know if there is an adaptor available. You could call ICC and ask them, is no one else chimes in here. They are very accomodating on the phone.

Stick with what you've got. It will work easier.

I really wasn't a fan of the Selkirk stuff.. just seemed to be of much lower quality (plus the fire warning).

I mentioned to the ICC dealer by phone if the ICC would mate up with the Selkirk class A (?), and he said it would with no problem (like I expected him to say different;))

I really wasn't a fan of the Selkirk stuff.. just seemed to be of much lower quality (plus the fire warning).

I mentioned to the ICC dealer by phone if the ICC would mate up with the Selkirk class A (?), and he said it would with no problem (like I expected him to say different;))

I've heard ICC will mate up but have never tried it.

I don't know if the ICC will mate up but I have ICC Ultrablack on my setup and it is damn nice pipe. Looks great too. If you're going for a straight shot, it will keep the cost reasonable. The 45's were easily the most expensive components in my pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.