ice carving (new pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmaul

Minister of Fire
Oct 10, 2007
Muncie, IN
Here is some pics of an ice carving I just got done doing. I use a stihl e120 with a 14" bar and various chisels. I hope the pics come out right.

Attachments

• IMG00061-20100221-1148.jpg
    IMG00061-20100221-1148.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG00062-20100221-1149.jpg
    IMG00062-20100221-1149.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG00063-20100221-1300.jpg
    IMG00063-20100221-1300.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG00065-20100221-1316.jpg
    IMG00065-20100221-1316.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG00066-20100221-1316.jpg
    IMG00066-20100221-1316.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 383
It's a Sea Horse. :)

The chain is just a standard Picco Safety chain and I do use bar and chain lube but turned down to the lowest setting. I can fill it up and get 3 or 4 carvings out of one tank, the ice doesnt hold the lube.

Nice but glad you said what it was - I saw the head you'd done in some of the early pix, and was trying to figure out why you had wings on a dog... Soon as you said sea-horse the thing made a lot more sense....

Must say something about where my head is at or some such... %-P

Gooserider

looks good I knew it was a seahorse right away. I haven't carved ice in years :( I used to do alot of kissing swans for weddings. I also did solo swans, hearts, angels and a bitchin wine rack. I did all of these pre digi-cam. I used to use cooking spray on the chain before during and after carving.

You must have to freeze dry that to get an overnight burn.

I have done about 15 or so, I havent yet repeated any but everytime I do one I learn something new.

MMaul said:
I have done about 15 or so, I havent yet repeated any but everytime I do one I learn something new.

with the profession your in looks like catering wedding's would be right up you ally!

Working at a university, we have themed meals so most the time its a different theme, so thats why I havent repeated one yet.

MMaul said:
Working at a university, we have themed meals so most the time its a different theme, so thats why I havent repeated one yet.

it looks good did you do pic's of the whole table set up?

No, its going to another building and they wont be using it till thursday. I will take some pics of the chisels though.

MMaul said:
No, its going to another building and they wont be using it till thursday. I will take some pics of the chisels though.

With the smoker and a little ice work sure would make for a great party theme! (I got about 1/2 cord apple and 1/2 cord of hickory)
keg of beer! can you do a stihl 361 or 460?

I havent made one but I have seen picture of ice carvings called Luge's like the olympic event where there they freeze a tube in the middle and do a carving around it. Then at the party someone pours shots or mixes at the top and you drink from the bottom and the alcohol chills along the way. Looks very cool.

Here are the chisels and tools I use the most.

Attachments

• chisel.jpg
    chisel.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 228
You need to do part-time catering business with your back ground....

Wife and I have thought about it, we have even done catering for friends, wedding cakes and rehearsal dinners. She does at least one wedding cake a year.

MMaul said:
Wife and I have thought about it, we have even done catering for friends, wedding cakes and rehearsal dinners. She does at least one wedding cake a year.

ruff guess about how much is a wedding cake say for 75 guest?

From us its about $200 from a Wedding cake Maker $400 to $800, I have seen some with lights in it where they have flowers overtop the bulbs so the flowers light up. Talk about exspensive.

Wife did one last summer 4 layer Black fondant with pink flowers (Husband had no say) for about 150 people.

MMaul said:
From us its about $200 from a Wedding cake Maker $400 to $800, I have seen some with lights in it where they have flowers overtop the bulbs so the flowers light up. Talk about exspensive.

I may need one this year...

Let me know.

MMaul. That is excellent work. Congratulations.

You use some oil but the ice carvers I've talked to use none. They claim it can stain the ice. I wonder how long their chains last?

Status
Not open for further replies.