ice cream burned onto stove top

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtbmike

Dec 29, 2011
central ma
yeah so my nephew visited the other day and while no one was watching he dropped his ice cream on top of the hot woodstove (he's 10 years old). i didn't see this until the next day and now its burned black on the top of my stove. how can i clean this, any tricks or ideas? thanks

What is the finish on the stove where it is stained? Cast iron? Enameled? Painted?

KaptJaq

What I have done on a cold stove: First clean as much as possible with a scotch bright non-abrasive pad and a little water. Make sure to dry the area completely to prevent any rust spots. Second, if necessary, re-coat the entire stove with stove black to hide any change in surface color.

KaptJaq

You might want to try a razor scraper, like the kind used to remove dried paint from windows. I used this once on a particularly bad burn on my cast iron pan. Sometimes it works; Be careful not to gouge the surface.
Also, remember that sugar pits surfaces, so try to get it up as soon as possible, and discoloration left is just a "family memory".

When all else fails, try #003 steel wool.

Status
Not open for further replies.