Ice Dams & Ice Melting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
doubledip said:
Just got 10" of snow dumped on us here in SE Michigan. I’ll be going out to rake the roof in an effort to impede any ice damming.

Same here, and yet another coming through tonight.
I'll lt it up there. Another advantage to having ventilation and a vented soffit, anything damming melt off, off the gutter will merely run out the vented soffit. ;-)

Hogwildz said:
doubledip said:
Just got 10" of snow dumped on us here in SE Michigan. I’ll be going out to rake the roof in an effort to impede any ice damming.

I'll lt it up there. Another advantage to having ventilation and a vented soffit, anything damming melt off, off the gutter will merely run out the vented soffit. ;-)

Hello Hogwildz

Yes you are correct, I have proof of that! Luckily the strip vent is letting the water out! See icicles!!

Attachments

• DSC04625sc.jpg
    DSC04625sc.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 219
Don2222 said:
Hogwildz said:
doubledip said:

Hello Hogwildz

Yes you are correct, I have proof of that! Luckily the strip vent is letting the water out! See icicles!!

LOL, better to run out the soffit vent, than back to the wall and down inside it.
Either way, it happens.
My addition is a breezeway I am making into living space. There is no heat in there yet, and no insulation in the ceiling yet. But as the ice melts during the day and refreezes at the gutter, it dams up.
So it sometimes cannot be avoided, accept to tear the gutter down. There is no heat at all in those rooms yet.

Hello

Here is a house with walls that are 2x12 not 2x6 with triple pane not double pane windows. It makes a difference!

http://www.fourthickwalls.net./

Status
Not open for further replies.