Ice dams on great Rm. roof again..HELP...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DRINKSFORALL

Jul 12, 2011
Eastern Ma.
I have a 20 x 20 great room with very high cathedral ceiling. I have roof coils on one problematic section and they do help somewhat. Even though the roof / ceiling has some foam "cores" (saw them when shingles were changed 10 years ago) insulation in between them I have a good amount of heat loss especially in certain corners. During the National Grid home heating evaluation the rep showed me the infrared gun picture and those corners were leaking heat. I even roof rake any snow over 5 inches (approx.) Can insulation be blown into those sections of the roof?? I don't think the space between the internal ceiling and roof is more than 5-6 inches in between?? How much does something like that cost?? The problem area is where the wall of the great room meets the back of the original house (cape w/ full dormer). Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. If you have names of people who specialize in this work bring it on...

First, it is good that you connect the formation of ice dams with heat loss through the cathedral ceiling. Here is a good place to start for addressing the problem with possible solutions. One way, as you will see (or have seen) is by insulating above the present roof deck. That involves stripping off old roofing material, adding exterior insulation, possibly 2x4s on the flat to provide a venting channel, a new roofing surface (plywood), and new roofing.

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/how-build-insulated-cathedral-ceiling

If it is just a few areas, yes, poke a hole in the Sheetrock, look into the cavity, and if you find empty space you can use spray foam through a series of small holes, or open larger sections and insulate traditionally....cost, any bodies guess, it's easy enough to get the Sqft going rate for ICYNENE., but unless you are doing the entire room, that won't be much help...

I have some very high ceilings and get ice damming in only about a 3' wide area that is about 30' long. I suspect this summer it would be wise to have an expert come and blow some insulation in. I feel very fortunate to only have an isolated area issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.