ice in chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hounddog

Dec 27, 2007
minnesota
as you read on one of my other posts i am gonna replace my old stove, "fisher" with a new one but i have one question? my chimney is in my garage which is not heated, the stove pipes into the chimney about 5 feet up and the clean out is in the garage, well when it is cold out , if you open up the clean out door , or dont open it , water drips out of it and makes a mess on the garage floor. when it real cold you open the door and it is ice cicles hanging down, what can it do to stop this, and what causes this, my old stove is not epa certified,,, is there to much heat going up the chimney from my old one and causing, moisture buildup? if i get a new epa stove, will i have the same problem? my old stove is a fisher, and not very efficient,

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
thank you

I'm just wondering , has it been raining there lately. Prehaps you are getting rain down your chimney & later it freezes.
An idea might be to put a cap on the chimney that will let smoke out but keep the rain from comming in.

Another idea is that you are runing your stove too snarffeled down, & so have a 300-350* stack temp or an even lower stack temp because you have your primary air all shut down & your stack damper nearly closed for a long overnite burn.

There is no free lunch !

So If you open up your stack damper some & open up your primary air some, you will get a hotter fire & heat your house more & quicker & the stack temps will go up to evaporate the water or melt the ice, but then of couse, you will be expending your wood load sooner & your burn time will be shorter & the wood pile is already starting to dwindle down, right?

But those are your options, as I see them, but I'm no expert, I've only been burning 2 yrs.

I know there are many here that already forgot more than I ever learned & if you are lucky, they might just chime in here.

i had one with a clean out door on the outside that was drafty and sucked up cold air condensend and made ice, i stuffed fiberglass in the door and it stoped the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.