ice on vent cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike56

Aug 13, 2010
broad brook,ct
some ice is forming on the bottom of my vent cap should i be concerned?

Which cap? Is it the cap on a clean-out "T" or the end-cap where the smoke is exhausting?

Shouldn't cause problems on the exhaust termination cap unless it is actually blocking the flow of exhaust. Might not be a bad idea to remove the end cap (if it's not frozen to the pipe) and bring it into a garage or inside your home where it can thaw out while your stove is not in use. If it becomes a problem and exhaust flow is blocked by ice, you might need to use a different termination cap (for exhaust).

It was the exhaust termination cap, big brown ice hanging off the bottom of the cap all i had to do was turn up the stove a little bit and it all melted off, thanks to everyone that responded

Status
Not open for further replies.