Ice Storm - A North Central Mass Scroungers Dream

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
All I can is wow....Westminster, Paxton, Princeton, Hubbardston, Barre, MA...towns are just devestated from this storm. Many other towns were hit too, but these are the ones I have seen. It looks like a tornado just wiped out my entire town....will post pics and videos once this thing is over....at my inlaws now to try to get some work done.

I hope everyone is ok...We have been without power since Thursday, and not expected to have it by the end of the week.

If you are in this area - you could probably scrounge 2 cords per day by just taking a ride down your street for a 1/4 of a mile

Family is safe, and I now have a generator thank god.....now, I need to get the well up and running.

Again, hope everyone is ok on the Northeast and be very careful if taking down limbs as there are thousands of hangers up in the trees and can be deadly.

Hi ilikewwod,
I grew up in Worcester so am familiar with all of those towns you mention. It does sound bad. I talked to my sister on Sunday. She inherited the summer cottage up in Athol. She had phoned a neighbor up there and folks were still without power on Sunday. No trees down on her cottage. She must have lucked out.

ChipTam

Hi Chip - Yup, its very bad. Actually talked to some of your friends yesterday....a power crew in our town was from Michigan....asked him that We should be up by the end of the week? and he said, I think its going to be longer than that. I am only 38, but everyone I have spoken too says that they have never seen an event like this.

I explained it to my wife how bad it was, and when I finally cut down some trees on our road and got the family out to friends she was just speechless....no words can explain it. I know what mother nature can do, and next time I will be much more prepared for it. (Although, I have to say we did very wall...glad we have lots of camping equipment)

Yup, lots of neighbors helping out each other....we are going back and forth with ours....taking/sharing meals, etc. They have running water...we have heat/refrigerator/freeze.

AP, heard you guys got it real bad too...you in Southern NH right?

my dad and step mom live in north adams, up in the north western corner, and last night my step mom said they may not have power for 2 more weeks. Lots of roads are closed due to trees being down in them and not having the manpower to clear em out. Id I had the time off, I would go down for the weekend and "help clear them out" for my step moms mother who heats with wood.

Here are a few photo's of our town...and these are actually the "not so bad" ones.

Attachments

• IceStorm_i.jpg
    IceStorm_i.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 574
  • IceStorm_k.jpg
    IceStorm_k.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 520
Good shots! I overheard a lady in a store saying that 3/5 cars in her driveway got hit- one was crushed. I was afraid to go out and look at the damage Saturday morning because so many limbs/trees were falling, and my little fake dogs couldn't go outside because of the ice chunks raining down in the afternoon- could easily have done them in.

I like the birch trees bending wayyy over touching the ground all over town LOL

Yeah, its very dangerous to go outside....feel bad as my 6 and 4 year olds want to go outside, but there are far too many dangling limbs that need to come down.

On the Pics, I didn't take them, but both shots are in Westminster, MA....sucks when the Fire Engine gets hit.

On the bright side....my neighbor works for a rental company and 4 of us are going to go in on a shipper for all the small stuff...I will now have an endless amount of mulch :)

WoW , i hope everyone is OK I hate ice storms ,there so dangerous. Seems like people get hurt too just from walking outside and slipping

I feel sorry for people who have to rely on electricity to make their wood burners heat their house.
600x450PIC_0475.jpg

ilikewood said:
Here are a few photo's of our town...and these are actually the "not so bad" ones.
Wow, Wish i could help cut them out!

Glad you're ok. We were without power for 48 hours. A friend in Sandisfield is still out. There is wood everywhere!!! Seems like a LOT of pine came down in my area. The big maples and oaks were scrounged by the crews as they cut them. They didn't leave much!! BE SAFE!

help your neighbors? are you crazy? When a horrific tragedy like this puts people without heat, water, electricity, access to hospitals and schools, and safety is at risk from trees crashing down around you, that's when it's your duty as an American citizen to stop what you are doing, sit down and complain about it and call the gov't in to help you. AND THEN when the gov't takes one day longer than you wanted, you are supposed to spit in their face and let them help you anyway.

help your neighbors? pfft, are you a true American or not?

Danno77 said:
help your neighbors? are you crazy? When a horrific tragedy like this puts people without heat, water, electricity, access to hospitals and schools, and safety is at risk from trees crashing down around you, that's when it's your duty as an American citizen to stop what you are doing, sit down and complain about it and call the gov't in to help you. AND THEN when the gov't takes one day longer than you wanted, you are supposed to spit in their face and let them help you anyway.

help your neighbors? pfft, are you a true American or not?

Seriously. You should be cleaning your guns and securing that pallet of MRE's. Oh, and bust out the winter camo.

Yes, AP, that's exactly the type of REAL American behavior I was expecting. Glad to see that not ALL of the NE has completely lost it.

Adios Pantalones said:
http://www.fox44.net/Global/story.asp?S=9536129

Guy in Weare , NH got drunk and gave utility workers a hard time demanding that they restore his power. The police had to taser him before arrest.
Got to love the taser!!

smokinj said:
Adios Pantalones said:

Guy in Weare , NH got drunk and gave utility workers a hard time demanding that they restore his power. The police had to taser him before arrest.
Got to love the taser!!
I'm still trying to decide if it's irony that a guy complaining about "no electricity" was shocked into submission.

Danno77 said:
smokinj said:
Adios Pantalones said:

Got to love the taser!!
I'm still trying to decide if it's irony that a guy complaining about "no electricity" was shocked into submission.
I would have to say "YES" Theres Your POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.