1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

ICE Storm

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by webbie, Dec 17, 2012.

1. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Quite a coating on the trees today!
    ice1.jpg ice2.jpg ice3.jpg ice4.jpg
    ScotO likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Eeek!

Hate ice. In West Texas we got a lot of it. Here when we get it that 898 foot winding down hill drive way of mine gets real interesting. Well, since I retired and don't have to commute anymore it is less interesting. ;)
  3. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I think I almost broke bones twice today......once stepping out of the car...in the garage, yet!
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    When we get an ice storm here I stay inside. I have had too many near misses in them.
  5. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Ice a couple times in Northern Virginia while I was there brought the place to its knees, and bent my Birch trunks to the ground...from which they never completely recovered (but some tree guys helped me out with that). Once I got to Vienna Metro station ~6 PM or so, and my Camaro windshield had 1/8" of solid ice on it, and all I had to deal with it was a credit card. When I finally got out of that parking lot, it took me more than 1/2 hour to make the less than 1/2 mile trip to my house. Then, of course, I couldn't get the car up the driveway, so had to park it out on the street. I hate ice...except for a cube or two with my George Dickel. :cool:
  6. CTguy9230

CTguy9230 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest CT
  7. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    I hate ice.

The broken branches, down trees, snapped power lines, and the wood stacks always end up being a mess for me.
  8. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I hate ice storms, but.it does make for some beautiful scenery for photos. Been a few years since we've had one here, we've had some doosies over the years. But, I'd take two feet of snow before I'd take an ice storm.....
  9. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Yeah, it was nasty here too. I wish it were colder, snow would be nice. My company has an office up in Montreal and one of the guys there was telling me they got 2 feet today on top of the ice.

Attached Files:

ScotO likes this.
  10. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Gotta agree 100% . . . snow tends to be far less damaging . . . just as pretty . . . and afterwards you can play in it. Then again . . . losing power for 14 days from an ice storm will tend to make you think this way.
    ScotO likes this.