ICE Storm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Quite a coating on the trees today!
ice1.jpgice2.jpgice3.jpgice4.jpg

Reactions: ScotO
Eeek!

Hate ice. In West Texas we got a lot of it. Here when we get it that 898 foot winding down hill drive way of mine gets real interesting. Well, since I retired and don't have to commute anymore it is less interesting. ;)

When we get an ice storm here I stay inside. I have had too many near misses in them.

Ice a couple times in Northern Virginia while I was there brought the place to its knees, and bent my Birch trunks to the ground...from which they never completely recovered (but some tree guys helped me out with that). Once I got to Vienna Metro station ~6 PM or so, and my Camaro windshield had 1/8" of solid ice on it, and all I had to deal with it was a credit card. When I finally got out of that parking lot, it took me more than 1/2 hour to make the less than 1/2 mile trip to my house. Then, of course, I couldn't get the car up the driveway, so had to park it out on the street. I hate ice...except for a cube or two with my George Dickel. :cool:

I hate ice.

The broken branches, down trees, snapped power lines, and the wood stacks always end up being a mess for me.

I hate ice storms, but.it does make for some beautiful scenery for photos. Been a few years since we've had one here, we've had some doosies over the years. But, I'd take two feet of snow before I'd take an ice storm.....

Yeah, it was nasty here too. I wish it were colder, snow would be nice. My company has an office up in Montreal and one of the guys there was telling me they got 2 feet today on top of the ice.

Attachments

• 2012-12-17_10-38-13_550.jpg
    2012-12-17_10-38-13_550.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 117
I hate ice storms, but.it does make for some beautiful scenery for photos. Been a few years since we've had one here, we've had some doosies over the years. But, I'd take two feet of snow before I'd take an ice storm.....

Gotta agree 100% . . . snow tends to be far less damaging . . . just as pretty . . . and afterwards you can play in it. Then again . . . losing power for 14 days from an ice storm will tend to make you think this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.