Ice storm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D8Chumley

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2013
Collegeville PA
Fellow Pennsylvanians just wondering how everyone made out with the recent ice storm? I live in the woods and had 2 cherry trees come down in the yard, several big limbs and tops in the woods around me, but fortunately nothing on my powerline up through the woods. I was stuck here for a while yesterday morning as a black walnut fell across the road 50' above my driveway and an ash about the same distance below and laid on the main lines that run up across the road from me. Tree company had it opened up a little after lunch and I did get to talk to the owner who is contracted to PECO about any extra wood in the area. He said he would do what he could and punched my address in his GPS.
I didn't cut anything yesterday as the limbs and ice were still falling. May not even do it today if its not safe. I live on a back road so I doubt the trees will disappear but if they do I still have the ones in the yard to cut which should get me to the magical 3 years ahead ==c I can't wait to get power back as the generator uses a LOT of gas. This wood stove is a lifesaver! Hope everyone made out ok

Just realized maybe others are still without power and a generator, which is the only reason I can "visit" here this morning

Just realized maybe others are still without power and a generator, which is the only reason I can "visit" here this morning

Our power company has a big banner on the front of the headquarters building bragging that you can report or check the status of your power outage on the Internet. Thing was up there long before phones got so "smart".

I know in my area, if you like white pine there's cords and cords of it along the roads and hanging on the power lines.
This is as bad as I can remember for lost power and cable. Hope all made out ok. Glad for wood heat and candles.

Hang in there PA brothers. Judging from those PA residents I've met, you are a pretty tough bunch. In my area of the "show me state" we are digging out of 13 inches of snow in -15 to -20 temps -30 wind chill. Beer in a snow bank. dutch oven on the BK, full of chili. 78 in the house. Life is good. Praying the same is true for all of you.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I consider myself very lucky. I lost power but only for about 3 minutes. It also flickered a few times yesterday but held up. Not a lot of tree damage around me but I did cut up a small black birch limb that fell across my SIL's driveway. The worst part of all this is the kids have been out of school for the last 2 days.

Wow Chumley you had some excitement! I came out of it without a scratch, thank God. Not too bad here in my area except the roads were a mess with all of the snow and ice, but other than having to shovel some heavy ice we are fine. I hope all else are doing well, too!

I heard on my local NPR station that Central Maine Power is sending crews to help get you guys back on line. Ice is the pits. Snow is pain, but it doesn't usually cause the sort of chaos ice does. I remember the "biggie" for us back in 1998. It didn't affect us, but my mother's home was out for over a week (my brother kept it from freezing with his generator), others were "down" for 2 wks.. Home owner's claims were astronomical. Hang tough.

Yep the boys from Ma. had a convoy yesterday,should be there by now, We had guys from NY and Vt last storm we had here in South Ma, time for payback.

I was one of the lucky ones and didn't lose power. I'm working at at power plant up in pa on the Susquehanna and my 45 min commute took 2 hrs because of over turned cars and downed trees. I would definately rather have 12" of snow over a 1/2" of ice any day. Good luck to you guys

Reactions: D8Chumley
Did some cutting yesterday. Got a few pics.Got a big chunk of that black walnut and drug it up the driveway to buck it up. Cut the 2 cherry up that fell in the yard. I guess I did a better job re-stacking that pile that fell over a few weeks back because one fell right across it and didn't knock it over. I'm going to try and get some of that ash in the first pic, thats in a balled up mess along the road, but the CFO is home today and I think she has plans for me that don't involve firewood

009.JPG010.JPG013.JPG014.JPG

Looks like we'll be out until at least Sunday here in Chester county. Generator and battery backup are powering the pellet stoves, internet, even HW heater if we manage our loads. My wife has the crock pot and griddle going full tilt during these things, so I (and some neighbors) are eating like kings. Not that bad, except for the gas to power the gennie.

We are right across the river, so we are close to Chester Co. True about the gas, we can get 12-13 hrs on a full tank (8 gallons) overnight anyway. Haven't run it during the day, don't feel the need to if I'm outside anyway. There was a smaller truck that was on our road last night I assume scoping out ahead of the power crews, he had a lot of spotlights mounted on his truck and was out walking around with a flashlight. I'm hoping that means they might be here today but if not we will be ok for a few more days. Last year we went without for 8 days, people here were starting to get crabby after that long. Hang in there brother

Just took the kids to school, I guess the bus didn't figure they could get through... never showed up. There are a few new poles that got dropped off overnight so that is encouraging

Status
Not open for further replies.