Iced OAK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northwoodneil

Feeling the Heat
Feb 10, 2012
Land of Cheese
-8 degrees and I have a quarter inch of ice on the outside of my OAK. Thats gonna' leave a puddle at the base of my wall:( Any suggestions?

Outside as in inside on the outside of the pipe? Confused yet? If that's the case you can try wrapping it with fiberglass insulation. Yer BB store should have some near the copper pipe foam insulation thingies.

How does it burn with such cold air? Do you notice any difference in the flame or heat output? Maybe insulate the OAK. Keeps the condensation down that way. But its sorta too late for that now.

Can you peel/tap the ice off before it melts? If not put cookiesheet or pan under it. Make sure it isn't the Mrs.'s favorite or you might get in trouble :oops:. I would guess that insulating it would prevent that in the future. On the plus side the humidity level in your house must be pretty good :)

A cheap aluminum pan from the grocery store works for me. Throw it away at the end off the year.

Happens to my 2' long OAK anytime the temps get into the single digit range (like tonight). I simply lay a small folded towel beneath it. I once tried insulating it but the insulation simply froze to the OAK and the stove shut down - no idea why. I placed a small electric heater pointing at he OAK and removed the insulation after it thawed. The stove started after that.

My oak runs up the wall cavity in a closet (unfinished) and it is iced up from the intake to foot from the stove. I'll mop up when it thaws. I'm trying to think of some form of insulation that will fit 3" vent but not grow mold if it gets damp. Maybe foam pipe wrap if they make that big. Space is also an issue. maybe spray on foam?

I have the same problem, only the first foot or so of my oak freezes. It stays frozen, and then at around 0 above it melts. I threw down a towel, and when its 0 below, I don't care because its not melting.

Not sure what your options are based on your install, insulation should prevent condensation, depending on humidity/temperature.

Reactions: heat seeker
How does it burn with such cold air? Do you notice any difference in the flame or heat output?

I think it burns hotter. Like snowmobiles, airplanes and diesel engines they run best in cold air. More O2 per CF in cold dense air.

That's true in combustion engines because you can calculate a air to fuel ratio, and maximize everything.

In fire places / pellet stoves, your really just cooling down your stove, IMO. Sure there is more O2 for combustion, but I would hope that the stove already has enough 02 for proper efficient combustion.

Burning any fossil fuel, whether it be oil, gasoline, or wood, requires a certain air/fuel ratio. Cold outside air is more oxygen-rich, and theoretically should need less volume to burn at the same ratio.

Yes, cold outside air will give a better burn, but the purpose of the OAK is mainly to eliminate the burn air from coming from the already heated air inside the home, and helps eliminate drafts from doors, windows, cracks, etc. The cooling effect on the stove would be small, IMO.

In this case, I'd just get some insulation wrap for the OAK.

Reactions: roadking88
Status
Not open for further replies.