Icehouse chimney help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clutch25

Feb 3, 2009
ND
I have somewhat of a quandry....

A buddy and I are building an ice fishing house and I need some chimney assistance. I am using a wood stove with a 6" pipe outlet and can't seem to find a top cap that will fit just the black stovepipe that we will be using for the entire chimney length. In the past I have seen these stoves using a necked down chimney from 6-4 inches but the increase in gas velocity makes controlling the draft almost impossible

All of the caps and roof flashing I have found at the local stores are for the insulated stove pipe so the OD is much larger and won't work. Either that or cost is too high.

So far about the only idea I've come up with is a modified cleanout T on the top and nothing for the flashing....

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Wouldn't it be easier to use a short piece of insulated pipe to finish through the roof. May cost a little, but can't be that much. Then you could brag to your buddies about your code complying installation at home and on the ice.

hey clutch,been working on my ice shack for the last few weekends,getting ready for the season as it were.
found for the stack of an ice shack check for the cheap caps in aluminum,probably in the furnace section of your local hardware
nothing too fancy,cost me 15 bucks canuck last year,but does a good job with the wind and snow issues...nothing even close to code
mind you

Why not just make a cone from sheet metal? Simple as cutting out a circle, removing a pie slice and then pulling the cut edges together and adding screws. Attach with four pieces of metal strap or heavy wire.
Or, notch out four rectangular openings aroung the perimeter of your last section of stove pipe, leaving 4 vertical legs and top rim of metal. Attach the cone cap to that.

elmoleaf said:
Why not just make a cone from sheet metal? Simple as cutting out a circle, removing a pie slice and then pulling the cut edges together and adding screws. Attach with four pieces of metal strap or heavy wire.
Or, notch out four rectangular openings aroung the perimeter of your last section of stove pipe, leaving 4 vertical legs and top rim of metal. Attach the cone cap to that.

Good idea!

Sure wish my grandfather was around....sheet metal guy! None of this would be an issue!

What kind of stove you putting in there anyway?

It is an old box stove that I picked up at menards years ago. It will likely end up chasing us out of there due to the size of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.