Icicles on roof

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
This past summer I had my roof done. Now I have icicles all around my roof. In my 10 years here this has never happened, so what does this mean? good or bad?

Describe the roofing job and the attic ventilation.

They put new plywood down, then shingles. The venting is ridge cap.

Generally ice means the soffits aren't doing their work or someone stuffed insulation down in the space between the top of the wall and the roof. The cause is warm air from the house is heating up the roof deck over the living space, the water runs down until it hits the overhangs that don't have any heat and freeze. If you don't fix it, the icewill eventually get back up under the roofing. If you had the roof stripped and had ice and water shield installed, it may not do damage but otherwise you will get leaks in the ceiling.

Yeah if they installed a ridge vent but didn't put any or put insufficient soffit vents in that'll do it. Had mine stripped of shingles and plywood and ridge vent installed in June. Originally had gable vents. It did already have perforated soffits but had I not climbed up there when the plywood was off the roofers would have left the original fiberglass batts stuffed in blocking the soffit venting that the builder had stuffed in there. On a sunny day go up in the dark attic and you should see lots of light between the rafters all across the eves if the ventilation is there.

PS: Did you get rid of the bats and get the porch fixed?

Last edited:
No porch is still not done.
Bats I am not sure really. Couple of months ago I popped my head up there and looked around with a good light and didn't see any. There were also no droppings on the attic door cover so idk. Could have been hiding in the walls or under insulation. I guess I'll know in the spring.

Generally ice means the soffits aren't doing their work or someone stuffed insulation down in the space between the top of the wall and the roof. The cause is warm air from the house is heating up the roof deck over the living space, the water runs down until it hits the overhangs that don't have any heat and freeze. If you don't fix it, the icewill eventually get back up under the roofing. If you had the roof stripped and had ice and water shield installed, it may not do damage but otherwise you will get leaks in the ceiling.

Well they were supposed to put a 6' ice/water barrier on it so hopefully did. My roof does not have soffits.

That ridge vent has to have equivalent air intake area somewhere near the eves or it is useless.

Last edited:
air in must = air out....

ALso, from my little bit of experience, if you have icicles it is because there is a heat loss melting snow on the roof which then freezes as it drips. Or the weather is warming up and the snow is melting in the sun/heat.

What was the venting before the new roof?
What style house & roof do you have?
Can you take a pic tomorrow? Would be worth MORE than 1000 words here.
To answer your original question: I'm sorry to say it is most likely bad. +1 with peakbagger & Swedishchef

Or the weather is warming up and the snow is melting in the sun/heat.

Glad someone finally said it. I always get icicles on edges of the roof on the south side of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.