I'd been looking for cheap stack covers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktail

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2011
Western WA
I have a bunch of stacks out back between trees that will be moved to the shed next fall. This time of year I'm not too concerned about covering them, but I was still looking for something cheap to cover them with. Yesterday morning I was out BSing with one of the neighbors when another neighbor came over and asked if either of us has a use for metal roofing panels. He's cleaning up the back of his property to build a new work shop and had a bunch of different size panels to get rid of. Nice score for me. I grabbed a few ranging from 6 to 16ft long.

You did good. I want to find something before winter, thinking about going to some farm auctions sometimes they have old roofing.

Fantastic! You'll like these for covering.

He said he'll eventually take the rest in to recycle, so if I decide I need more they're available. He's a really good guy. I just recently learned that he burns. He went back behind the house with me to measure a couple of my stacks to figure out what I needed for covers and he asked if I'm gonna start selling wood. What bigger complement is there for a wood burner? :)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I'd love to get my hands on some, but never seem to come up around here - good scores! Cheers!

I always find it interesting you guys can use metal roofing panels, the wind we have here would send them into the next county, even metal attached to a building can end up in the next county.:)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I always find it interesting you guys can use metal roofing panels, the wind we have here would send them into the next county, even metal attached to a building can end up in the next county.:)
I have the same problem. I just had a sheet blow off and land on a bed of flowers getting ready to bloom.
My eyes are peeled for cinderblocks...large rocks, metal roofing and pallets. I feel like an old crow flying over the dumps.
Its all redneck stuff. Anything shiney as Jeff Foxworthy says.
But if I choose to heat with wood to save money, building some gazebo styled wood shed with cupola and weathervane defeats the purpose of CHEAP.

Reactions: Big Donnie Brasco
Well wood burning is not cheap, the only way it saves you money is to get into it and stay there and then it is cheaper then buying fuel, have been burning for a long time and have covered my investment many times over plus the comfort it brings.

I will freely admit we've had a few blown off but no harm to anything or anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.