ID, eastern hophornbeam?(with pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I cut this in the spring of 2009, at the time I "thought" it was hickory due to the scaly nature of the wood. I now know hickory doesn't really show it's shag till it gets a older. I was cutting tree tops and this wood was from small tree's that the loggers knocked over getting to the wood they wanted. I didn't think much about it at the time but looking at it now I'm thinking it's eastern hophornbeam(ironwood). All the tree's were small but the wood is really dense. When I cut these I was in my split everything phase, I sure wish I would've left them as rounds, I'm just using them to fill the gaps now. :)

So what's everyone think?

Attachments

• DSC_1167_3334.jpg
    DSC_1167_3334.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 679
  • DSC_1170_3337.jpg
    DSC_1170_3337.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 675
  • DSC_1174_3339.jpg
    DSC_1174_3339.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 742
rdust said:
I cut this in the spring of 2009, at the time I "thought" it was hickory due to the scaly nature of the wood. I now know hickory doesn't really show it's shag till it gets a older. I was cutting tree tops and this wood was from small tree's that the loggers knocked over getting to the wood they wanted. I didn't think much about it at the time but looking at it now I'm thinking it's eastern hophornbeam(ironwood). All the tree's were small but the wood is really dense. When I cut these I was in my split everything phase, I sure wish I would've left them as rounds, I'm just using them to fill the gaps now. :)

So what's everyone think?

rdust, it sure looks like it. I told the man that sold us the land that I was cutting some ironwood and that I was going to split it but he talked me out of it. Ours won't be ready until next heating season.

zap

zapny said:
rdust, it sure looks like it. I told the man that sold us the land that I was cutting some ironwood and that I was going to split it but he talked me out of it. Ours won't be ready until next heating season.

zap

I was splitting everything at that point since I wanted to use it last season. I hoped splitting small would allow it to be ready over one summers time. I ended up not getting into that wood so it would've been fine left in rounds. Oh well, live and learn. :lol:

Yes, that's ironwood. They don't get very big around here. I'd say mostly a foot or so on the stump.

That's it alright.They are a small tree that normally grows in understory beneath much larger oaks,maples,birch,hickory etc.Normal maximum size is rarely over 1 foot diameter & 30-40 foot tall.They dont get quite that big around here unless in a isolated protected area.I have some that are 7"-8" max,havent seen any bigger on the place I cut.

Attachments

• hophornbeam 6.jpg
    hophornbeam 6.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,188
  • hophornbeam122810.jpg
    hophornbeam122810.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 598
Looks like you got the ID right. I am surprised you guys have enough of the stuff to make a stack of it. Around here I mostly see one Ironwood here, one there. I haven't seen a place where you could cut a face cord of the stuff without clearing all of them out of an acre or two of forest.

Good find rdust. We have only a couple on our place and one of them came down. I'll be cutting that one up soon, I hope.

So, now I know what it looks like. Never had a positive ID on that one.

Ironwood is one of the last remaining woods on my "I wanna try a full load of that stuff in my stove before I die" list. Everybody's got one of those, right? Kinda like a "Bucket List".

There's a place nearby that sells 2-3 year old seasoned wood at exorbitant prices. Called "Gourmet Firewood". He advertises ironwood, and he's willing to sell it by the car trunkful. Maybe I'll scoot over there tomorrow and check it out. I'd love to try it side by side during the next few days of sub-zero weather. Plus, I'll get to scratch it off my list.

After that... anybody want to send me a stove full of hedge?

Never seen it before. Looks close to white oak.

doubtingLEE said:
It's good stuff. I have alot of it on my property . UsualLEE never gets big enough that I have to split it. Great wood.

If I was to cut this today I wouldn't have split em. Most of them were probably about 4-5 inch rounds before I split em. :down:

Looks like ironwood wood to me as well. Good wood, but takes a while to season.

I haven't burned any black birch in many years. I do have some 5 year old BB slabs in the mill yard I might go cut up tomorrow just so my stove can wrap it's taste buds around some. I like the ironwood alot cuz 'round here it grows straight and round and you can load your stove up nice with it.
Or did you mean Yellow Birch?

Hornbeam coppices pretty well - the woods around here are full of it, along with the sweet chestnut, as it was grown to make charcoal for the forges.

If you cut it, and let some light in to the stool, it should regrow and be ready to harvest again in 15 years or so. If you take out individual trees without letting light through the canopy it is likely to be completely shaded out and the stool will probably die.

Along with the oaks here hornbeam is probably some of our best firewood.

Last years clam truck load of logs was probably 10-15% ironwood. Not something I was used to seeing but I was more than happy to get it. Puts out incredible heat.

doubtingLEE said:
I haven't burned any black birch in many years. I do have some 5 year old BB slabs in the mill yard I might go cut up tomorrow just so my stove can wrap it's taste buds around some. I like the ironwood alot cuz 'round here it grows straight and round and you can load your stove up nice with it.
Or did you mean Yellow Birch?

I meant black birch. On the thread with the yellow birch tree by the stream, I thought you meant black when you said it is awesome wood. You must have meant yellow.

I've never had a lot of yellow birch all at once. It seemed to burn well, but I don't know first hand how it would compare with something like red oak. I would guess it burns hotter and faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.