ID for a friend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
Hey guys! Hope everyone s having a good summer :)

A friend sent me a photo. The tree is in her neighbors yard but the majority of the tree leans into her yard and it's dropping it's berries and she is concerned her dog might get sick. Here is a few photos.

Attachments

• tawn1.jpg
    tawn1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 420
  • tawn22.jpg
    tawn22.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 411
Looks like a cherry tree....but 100 percent it will not hurt the dog. fruit tree probably dwarf.

smokinjay said:
Looks like a cherry tree....but 100 percent it will not hurt the dog. fruit tree probably dwarf.

I'm not sure about 100% not dangerous. The leaves from wild cherry trees produce a cyanide compound once they decompose. The berries are probably safe but anything that eats enough dead wild cherry leaves is deader than 3 o'clock. There have been numerous cases of livestock deaths because of this and a lot of farmers won't allow cherries in their fence rows as a result. My BIL lost a horse to them a few years back.

prunus serotina
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_serotina

The fruit will cause rather persistant purple stains on a white car, seems worse when they go through a bird first.

It ( the tree) should be removed.
If for no other reason it is way too close to the building.

You will need to spread salt or a stump decomposer on the stump to help stop it from sprouting right back again.

Often called choke cherry around here, but that name is a bit of a misnomer.

Any one having problems with black knot in plum trees nearby will appreciate your removing that tree as it is a host for black knot.
( just one more reason to cut up for firewood)

Well, if it is dangerous we should be seeing many, many coons, possom, deer, etc. around the woods very soon. They all love the fruit. As for the tree, the wood will burn just fine.

its a cherry tree, and i have definitely heard that people with horses don't want cherry anywhere near the animals.

that cherry tree is not a risk in any way to her dog. i've never seen a dog eating leaves off a tree before, if if it does, then maybe it will learn not to.

The twigs and the leaves and inner bark contain prussic acid which may cause severe illness or death to livestock which eat the wilted leaves.

Thanks fellas! The tree is on her neighbors property but leans over the fence line. Luckily she and her husband are buying a house and will be out of this one in November.

Status
Not open for further replies.