ID for a neighbor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
My neighbor brought this little chunk over last evening wondering what it was. I don't think I have ever seen it before. It has been in someone's living room for many years and seems very dense. Any ideas?

Attachments

• TonySplitID1.jpg
    TonySplitID1.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 444
  • TonySplitID2.jpg
    TonySplitID2.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 454
  • TonySplitID3.jpg
    TonySplitID3.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 431
Looks like mulberry to me

The wood also looks a lot like Black Locust to me. the bark didn't look furrowed enough until I noticed that it looked like it had been well worn down.

I could go with mulberry or black locust. Black locust would certainly be dense.

FLINT said:
The wood also looks a lot like Black Locust to me. the bark didn't look furrowed enough until I noticed that it looked like it had been well worn down.

I could go with mulberry or black locust. Black locust would certainly be dense.
BL isn't red like that.

Mulberry is yellow or orange like this wood. Osage Orange is also similar in color. I don't see the bark on Osage Orange enough to know if this looks like OO. Both Mulberry and Osage Orange are dense woods, wtih Osage Orange being the most dense wood commonly growing here.

Looks like hedge to me....Osage Orange

If it is hedge, that would explain why he was so elusive when I asked him where he got it :lol:

Just looked up some pics of Osage orange bark and I think the bark on this tree looks more like Osage than mulberry

Osage or mulberry, either one burns HOT! They will shoot off sparks as well, even seasoned. I love all yellow/orange wood! Does he have a good supply of the wood? If it is Hedge I would look into trading some of your wood, it really burns hot and long when seasoned. IMO

SolarAndWood said:
If it is hedge, that would explain why he was so elusive when I asked him where he got it :lol:

Wondering about your comment. Is hedge cutting not allowed in your area?

Shari

Adios Pantalones said:
It should be very dense (densest wood native to the US).

Actually, live oak is quite a bit denser. Then there are the native ironwoods. Both Desert Ironwood and Mountain Mahogany have specific gravities of about 1.2, while Texas Lignum Vitae is up over 1.3. These three woods sink like a stone when you drop them into water. There are a few species of western oak as well as holly leaf cherry that are almost dense enough to sink in water when dry. Pretty rare, or too impractical for firewood, but denser all the same.

I was gonna say hedge but won't hedge hold its color on the face of the split, since its a darker color on the face of the split i'd say mulberry. I believe jags said something in an older post about hittin the end of the split or round with a ball pin hammer, if it dents its mulberry if not its hedge

Shari said:
SolarAndWood said:

Shari

Just intrigued with the opportunity of finding the holy grail here. I don't think I have seen it before.

SolarAndWood said:
Shari said:
SolarAndWood said:

Shari

Just intrigued with the opportunity of finding the holy grail here. I don't think I have seen it before.

Ah - now I understand. I don't think I've ever seen hedge around here either.

Shari

A-cord-ingLEE said:
Sassy-frass

AbsoluteLEE, positiveLEE - nu uhhh.

CodyW - Osage discolors at the end cut just like the picture shown. The split side will eventually discolor to match.

Thanks for keeping the dream alive Jags. I would like to plant some if I can find out where this came from. I'd obviously like to burn some as well but a free source for planting them would be the scrounge of the year.

SolarAndWood said:
Thanks for keeping the dream alive Jags. I would like to plant some if I can find out where this came from.

Watch out for what you wish for. Most farmers want them GONE. Kinda like a walnut tree in a yard. Pretty to look at, but they have their down sides. The hedge apples (monkey brains) that drop from the female trees are nasty to deal with.

Jags said:
SolarAndWood said:
Thanks for keeping the dream alive Jags. I would like to plant some if I can find out where this came from.

Watch out for what you wish for. Most farmers want them GONE. Kinda like a walnut tree in a yard. Pretty to look at, but they have their down sides. The hedge apples (monkey brains) that drop from the female trees are nasty to deal with.

And they are an ugly tree best used as hedge rows.

A couple of hedge rows is exactly what I am looking for. One about 20' tall and the other maybe 10'. Maybe 500' in length in all.

SolarAndWood said:
A couple of hedge rows is exactly what I am looking for. One about 20' tall and the other maybe 10'. Maybe 500' in length in all.

Hedge makes for a very dense wind block.

Status
Not open for further replies.