Id free wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPED

Dec 31, 2007
Picked this up yesterday, not a ton of it, but I figure it only cost me about 10 bucks in gas to get. It's real dry the people said it had been dead a while before it fell. It's about 26%. Anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• fw001.jpg
    fw001.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 683
The stuff was really light to pick up too.... I'm figuring it's prob not all that good of a score, but I'm new at this scrounging game, and once I was out there....better to come home with bad wood then no wood.

Maple of some variety.. Makes great kindling. I've burned some larger pieces as well and they do fine, just a big quick burning and not a whole lot of coals.

Jason

Looks like maple to me, too.
Better than pine.

Nice mix of red and white oak leaves .

Cool, maple is better than I was hoping for, thanks guys. Yeah, as you can tell, my oaks never wanna give up their leaves. I waited all the way into december to rake, and then we get 50 mph winds a few days later, followed by snow, spring cleanup here I come ;-)

I'd say it's definitely maple. Not sure which species without looking at leaves or the shape. Should give out some good heat.

I think it looks like young oak. Is that big log in the truck from the same tree?

That looks like a younger red oak as it is beginning to get some furrows in that bark...

You didnt give it a whiff?

CTwoodnpelletburner said:
I think it looks like young oak. Is that big log in the truck from the same tree?

That looks like a younger red oak as it is beginning to get some furrows in that bark...

Haha, I actually did smell it, though I wasn't gonna admit it, didn't have the pee smell of red oak, or not quite, but definitely a lil stank to it ;-) As far as I know it's all from the same tree, but the pieces were already on the ground to be bucked when I got there.

I'm gonna jump on the maple band wagon. Got about 5 cords waiting to be cut and split in the back yard right now (along with 5 cords of ash, 3 cords of oaks and about 2 cords of mixed stuff). Can't wait till the snow melts off, so I can get back to it. :coolsmile:

Jags said:
I'm gonna jump on the maple band wagon. Got about 5 cords waiting to be cut and split in the back yard right now (along with 5 cords of ash, 3 cords of oaks and about 2 cords of mixed stuff). Can't wait till the snow melts off, so I can get back to it. :coolsmile:

Man I'm jealous!!!! I wish I had that kind of wood, all I got is the 3 cords of oak I just bought already split.

SPED said:

Haha, I actually did smell it, though I wasn't gonna admit it, didn't have the pee smell of red oak, or not quite, but definitely a lil stank to it ;-) As far as I know it's all from the same tree, but the pieces were already on the ground to be bucked when I got there.

I think you said it was dead for a bit and down and cut up - and low in moisture - so it would not have that deep oak stink.

SPED said:
Jags said:

Man I'm jealous!!!! I wish I had that kind of wood, all I got is the 3 cords of oak I just bought already split.

Don't be too jealous, that is one pile of work. Lucky for me, I like that kind of work. And my log lifting splitter makes a big difference as well. I was lucky enough to find a golf course that had a bunch of stuff cut down (from the past 3 years). Who ever cut it down, never bucked it up. The golf course had no one that could haul this away, and they would not allow anyone to bring in equipment (not even a saw). I made a deal with them to haul it to my house and dump it (or they would have to pay the local dump). Some of this stuff is in log form that would weigh into the tons. Not many people have equipment to deal with that. I do. So it works. Kind of a lucky find, and cost to me (delivery) basically payed for their fuel.

Jags said:
Don't be too jealous, that is one pile of work. Lucky for me, I like that kind of work. And my log lifting splitter makes a big difference as well. I was lucky enough to find a golf course that had a bunch of stuff cut down (from the past 3 years). Who ever cut it down, never bucked it up. The golf course had no one that could haul this away, and they would not allow anyone to bring in equipment (not even a saw). I made a deal with them to haul it to my house and dump it (or they would have to pay the local dump). Some of this stuff is in log form that would weigh into the tons. Not many people have equipment to deal with that. I do. So it works. Kind of a lucky find, and cost to me (delivery) basically payed for their fuel.

You haul it out with your barstool?

Backpack09 said:
Jags said:

You haul it out with your barstool?

He,he,he - if only.

Naw, the golf course had a bobcat with forks and a small 2 ton (I think it was a ford 550) with dump bed. They loaded it onto their truck and then dumped it at my cutting/splitting area in my back yard (my back yard is 5 acres). I have two cement pads from an old hog shed that I use as a splitting/stacking location, before it gets long term storage in an old chicken coop (large one) or the wash house next to my house. I own the house now, but it has been in my family for over 110 years. Its almost as if gramps and great gramps had this wood thing figured out ahead of time. :coolsmile:

SPED said:

I think you said it was dead for a bit and down and cut up - and low in moisture - so it would not have that deep oak stink.

Yep definitely could be the lingering part of that fresh cut still wet smell for sure, it didn't smell good ;-)

Wow that's lucky.. I gotta get better about just asking when I see some wood down. Funny thing on my way out yesterday to get the wood, I did see a couple pretty big logs(about 24" across) on the side of the road. They are right next to a river and it looks like the land isn't part of the place next door, which looks like rental property. There was noone home there unfortunately, but I was thinking of trying to find out who the landlord is and if he owns that land as well. Looks like it may have been just the power company that cut them down.

Looks like red maple that I've been cutting in my woods. I have an endless supply because they grow in swamp/wet lands and fall over often.

Actually...the bark looks familiar to me and you stated that it was light to pick up.
I'm guessing Ailanthus altissima (Tree of Heaven) by the looks of it. Very light, fast burning wood that will rot fairly quickly if left on the ground.
They most likely removed the tree so it wouldn't take over the property. Very invasive and hard to control.

SPED said:
In the truck.....

It looks kind of like shumack to me. We call them stink weed trees here. If it has a thinnish bark and tinge of yellow inside and it really stinks when you cut into it, it could be stink weed. When its dry it burns ok but not real hot.

I'm in the middle of cutting up alot of silver maple that I dropped last year looks familiar to that. Has same stain on inside almost looks like its rotting already fairly light. Obvious soft wood chainsaw goes right threw it. Hopefully it burns good I have about 5 cord cut and split and another 7-10 to go.

Ailanthus looks like Sumac when it's small. In fact we have to train our spray crews so they know the difference between the two when in the field.

mikeyny said:
It looks kind of like shumack to me. We call them stink weed trees here. If it has a thinnish bark and tinge of yellow inside and it really stinks when you cut into it, it could be stink weed. When its dry it burns ok but not real hot.

So it looks like I got my moneys worth eh ;-) Oh well, live and learn, at least it does seem to burn ok, 26% according to the old meter, sounds even drier when I bang em together. Into the kindling pile they go.

Status
Not open for further replies.