ID help needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
There is about 1/4-1/3 cord of this right next to a nice pile of Black Locust that was promised me the other day. Trying to decide if I should take it or not. I'm not gonna say what I think it is until a few others comment.

Attachments

• 0503111536.jpg
    0503111536.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 351
  • 0503111536a.jpg
    0503111536a.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 348
Fire wood. Rick

Iam with Rick on this one! (maybe Elm)

I know its firewood!. Due to my limited time and space, I have become quite a wood snob. I have to keep my BTU per man hour and cord rates as high as possible. I am far enough ahead that I can get away with this snobbery now.

Flatbedford said:
I know its firewood!. Due to my limited time and space, I have become quite a wood snob. I have to keep my BTU per man hour and cord rates as high as possible. I am far enough ahead that I can get away with this snobbery now.

NICE, LOL MY vote ELM!

Tough one . . . could be elm . . . could be maple . . . could be something all together different . . . I do know it isn't white birch, yellow birch or ash.

Maybe it would help to split a piece.

cygnus said:
Maybe it would help to split a piece.

I agree. I wasn't going to be the first person to say white pine, but the bark, and the fact that it's peeling off- looks a bit piney to me.

growth rings are too big for elm or maple , my vote is pine

nothing wrong with a little mystery wood

I don't have a lot of different kinds here but even though it's aged it looks a bit like oak or cherry although the big sheet of bark peeling off a bit like pine

I'm gonna stick with grey mystery wood .....

I'll leave it then. If anybody wants to come to Croton, NY 10520 for it, I'll help you load.

It's soft maple.

I was thinking Norway maple. Hard to split and not much heat. I'll let Mother Nature take the carbon nice and slowly.

My initial guess was either norway or silver maple. You can tell a lot locally, from the density. Norway much higher density.

Norway maple wood is very similar to sugar maple: really good stuff, once properly dried.

I would definitely take it home. Not a bad thing that it's been dead for some time- should dry quickly once processed.

+1 take it home and process whats there to lose?

I'm leaning towards Silver Maple, almost any wood left long enough in the elements will shed it's bark like that.
I don't see too many Pines shed thier bark in sheets like that 1st pic.

Flatbedford said:
I was thinking Norway maple. Hard to split and not much heat. I'll let Mother Nature take the carbon nice and slowly.

You must have different Norway where you live because I think it burns great! I would say about on par with Cherry.....

Last time a had some Norway it was not that great and it was pretty slow going to process. The electric company took one down off my property last summer. The main trunk of the tree grew twisted like a candy cane. I cut and split some of the bigger branches, but let them take the rest. I don't have much time to process or space to store my wood so, like I said, I have become a wood snob. I would rather save some space for easy splitting Oak or fast seasoning Ash, or Black Locust.

Flatbedford said:
Last time a had some Norway it was not that great and it was pretty slow going to process. The electric company took one down off my property last summer. The main trunk of the tree grew twisted like a candy cane. I cut and split some of the bigger branches, but let them take the rest. I don't have much time to process or space to store my wood so, like I said, I have become a wood snob. I would rather save some space for easy splitting Oak or fast seasoning Ash, or Black Locust.

Yea I was going to say man you must have plenty of primo stuff! But thats cool....I am starting to become a wood snob too.....well maybe not I dont want to turn down anything. :) But have plenty of Ash, Oak, Locust myself....I like the lighter woods on the warmer days......

Status
Not open for further replies.