ID if you please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAnt

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2009
Central CT
I was clearing vines and low brush at my parents today. This tree is right on our property line and was starting to uproot. I thought I would cut it down and test the new splitter. I had a clear drop in front and the tree has small limbs at the top. I thought the little branches would snap as it fell. Nope 1 got hung up, I still don't know how. LEANER... I now have to figure out how to get it to drop.

Is it a maple of some kind?

Attachments

• idtree.jpg
    idtree.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 478
Bark looks like either Cherry or Birch

But WTH I know . . .

why is the cut so curved?

The stump looks like Black Birch, but I would expect you'd notice the wintergreen smell of the tree if it was Black Birch.

smokinjay said:

Yeaaahhhhh... The saw got stuck and I had to finish it with a little 10 inch bar pole saw. Tight space to get it in and the tree is probably 14 inches round.

FireAnt said:
smokinjay said:

Yeaaahhhhh... The saw got stuck and I had to finish it with a little 10 inch bar pole saw. Tight space to get it in and the tree is probably 14 inches round.

ok couldnt figure it out do you have any pic's of the tree leaning?

Jay . . .you got some new way to ID trees by how they lean??? :wow:

Jay

I will have to get pictures tomorrow. I am home now. The tree is stuck on a 3-4 inch crotch towards the top. If the tree moved to the left a little it would drop.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Jay . . .you got some new way to ID trees by how they lean??? :wow:

sure do! Its a "tree" leaning into the fork of another "tree" who cares what it is until it hits the ground. imo

FireAnt said:
Jay

I will have to get pictures tomorrow. I am home now. The tree is stuck on a 3-4 inch crotch towards the top. If the tree moved to the left a little it would drop.

you may get lucky and use a rope and just pull it out.

smokinjay said:
FireAnt said:
Jay

you may get lucky and use a rope and just pull it out.

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. I maybe shouldn't have cut it... But it was starting to come up out of the ground so I thought it might be alright to cut... and I have my new Troy-Bilt splitter sitting there.

I was thinkin maple, but I am about 65% on the wood guessing game....lol

silver maple cut a bunch splits like butter

That could be Hickory. Young Hickory trees will have bark like that. Try splitting a piece. If it splits fairly clean with only a few "sticky" strings - it probably is Hickory. The light wood color matches too.

Ncountry said:
Red maple (soft maple). Any chance it was growing in semi wet or wet conditions?

I would say semi-wet, moist soil most of the time. There is wetlands all around. Is that the black spot in the center?

I will take a chance at beech, did it still have dried brown leaves hanging on. The beech tree does not drop it's leaves until the spring, the new leaves push off the old ones.
The bark looks a lot like the beech trees in my yard.

It looks like a young tree. Have you counted the rings? That would help the ID

FireAnt said:
Ncountry said:
Red maple (soft maple). Any chance it was growing in semi wet or wet conditions?

I would say semi-wet, moist soil most of the time. There is wetlands all around. Is that the black spot in the center?

Yes, all the soft maple, I have cut , growing in wet conditions seem to look like that

It has the "tell tale star shaped stain" that most Red Maples have (not all).
My guess is Red Maple based off that one pic, post more pictures when you get a chance.

I've posted some of my ID'S

WoodButcher

Attachments

• young_red_maple.jpg
    young_red_maple.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 155
  • stained_redmaple.jpg
    stained_redmaple.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 194
Here is a pic of the branch that got hung up. It's the little branch stuck on the other tree.

Attachments

• lean.jpg
    lean.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 181
I would rope it and rank it out with a truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.