I'd Like to Learn a Little As I Go

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wawa Coffee

Jul 24, 2016
SEPA
Today I filled the truck bed with some wood that a buddy had cut down maybe 18 months ago and stacked in his yard. Even though it wasn't split it seemed like it was extremely light weight. When I got home and started stacking I wanted to see how easy they'd split, and they just popped apart with the maul with zero effort.

Having said that - I have no idea what type of wood this is and I'd like to learn a bit about the type of wood I'm splitting and burning as I go. It's got a beautiful vein of burgundy running through it - almost the color of red wine.

Wood1_zpsmwkprzt9.jpg

The bark is stringy and peels off easily - in fact most of the rounds had no bark on them at all from being cut almost 2 years ago.

Here's the same split - just the bark side up:

Wood2_zpsyxdo3o0n.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help.

looks like red cedar

should have a distinct smell when freshly split if it is

Plus 1 red cedar. Smells nice, resists rot. Burns hot and fast.

Good stuff - thanks Gents. So easy to split this stuff. I need to get my hands on more.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Never came across red ceder. But I have some box elder that has red like that and also is stringy and splits easy.

I'm in the midwest and our box elder looks a lot like your pictures

Never came across red ceder. But I have some box elder that has red like that and also is stringy and splits easy.

I'm in the midwest and our box elder looks a lot like your pictures

I am not familiar with box elder but the bark pictured here looks like a dead ringer for cedar. How easy does box elder split woodhog? I find even gnarly pieces of red cedar splits easy with the fiskars.

I am not familiar with box elder but the bark pictured here looks like a dead ringer for cedar. How easy does box elder split woodhog? I find even gnarly pieces of red cedar splits easy with the fiskars.
I spoke to the guy I got it from. He confirms cedar. I used a Stihl Pro Splitting Maul. The wood simply exploded.

My box elder splits very easy. I've got 12 to 14 inch diameter rounds that I can easily split with my lighter splitting axe instead of my heavier maul.

It's very stringy and white inside with red in the center. Bark looks a little lighter though

Box elder has a red streak that goes through it. It is usually gnarled. Straight pieces don't split too badly. But joints stink! The cedar tends to be straight with the reddish color more uniform

I wouldn't use cedar as a primary wood. It burns too fast and throws tons of sparks.

I wouldn't use cedar as a primary wood. It burns too fast and throws tons of sparks.
Yeah that's what I've read. Oak and White Ash are gonna be my primary source. Thinking I'll just use the Cedar to get it started.

I like to burn cedar outside - I like the smell of it. Good for shoulder seasons or starting fires inside. As others have mentioned, burns hot and fast.

Burn what you got but red cedar is not a long burn wood. Great for getting the fire started but you need some real hardwood for long burns.

Box elder has a red streak that goes through it. It is usually gnarled. Straight pieces don't split too badly. But joints stink! The cedar tends to be straight with the reddish color more uniform

All i have is boxelder, and some pieces just pop apart, others are so stringy that I want to scream. Most of mine are really a giant pain to split, but that is most likely because they are all pretty gnarled... that is why I am renting a splitter :)

Burn what you got but red cedar is not a long burn wood. Great for getting the fire started but you need some real hardwood for long burns.

Next summer my backyard is getting remodeled and we're putting in a fire pit on a patio and a fireplace in an outdoor living room. Maybe I use the cedar then, outside of lighting the stove this winter.

Next summer my backyard is getting remodeled and we're putting in a fire pit on a patio and a fireplace in an outdoor living room. Maybe I use the cedar then, outside of lighting the stove this winter.

or use it during shoulder season, or to get things going before you go for the long burn....

or use it during shoulder season, or to get things going before you go for the long burn....

Yeah - probably what I'll end up doing. I never really put much thought into what I burned before - sort of just burned what I had split and seasoned, but I like the idea of using the wood that I do have in the most efficient way. I don't depend on wood heat - I just prefer it when I have the ability to light the stove vs. using the heater.

Reactions: red oak
Yeah - probably what I'll end up doing. I never really put much thought into what I burned before - sort of just burned what I had split and seasoned, but I like the idea of using the wood that I do have in the most efficient way. I don't depend on wood heat - I just prefer it when I have the ability to light the stove vs. using the heater.

You're in SE PA so your climate probably isn't different from mine. I heat totally with wood so our needs will be a bit different. But, soft wood like pine and cedar is something I really like to have around. Sometimes in October it's all you need and you can save good hardwood like oak for when you need all that heat. When I'm cutting if I have some softwood or wood that may be going a bit punky I'll set it aside for campfires or firepit. I like the idea of being efficient too, I remember growing up and having to open the windows when the stove got too hot!

You're in SE PA so your climate probably isn't different from mine. I heat totally with wood so our needs will be a bit different. But, soft wood like pine and cedar is something I really like to have around. Sometimes in October it's all you need and you can save good hardwood like oak for when you need all that heat. When I'm cutting if I have some softwood or wood that may be going a bit punky I'll set it aside for campfires or firepit. I like the idea of being efficient too, I remember growing up and having to open the windows when the stove got too hot!

How many cords do you go through in a winter in VA using only wood heat?

You're right - its the same climate for the most part - maybe I get a little more snow, but temperature/heating needs would probably be extremely similar.

How many cords do you go through in a winter in VA using only wood heat?

You're right - its the same climate for the most part - maybe I get a little more snow, but temperature/heating needs would probably be extremely similar.

I go through about 4-5 cords per winter but that is with an old Fisher stove that is nowhere near as efficient as the modern stoves. About a cord of that would be soft wood like pine, cedar or poplar.

Status
Not open for further replies.