ID ,My 2 Maples

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
Leaf on the right is from tree in first 2 pics, Leaf on the left is from tree in last 2 pics
I thought the one in last 2 pics was Sugar ,now, not sure :confused:

IMG_20130605_100031.jpgIMG_20130605_100115.jpgIMG_20130605_100131.jpgIMG_20130605_100204.jpgIMG_20130605_100214.jpg

The jagged edges and sharp deep cuts between the lobes on the left hand leaf are traits of a silver. The smoother edges of the leaf on the right are more like a red maple, but the depth and narrowness of the cuts makes me say silver also. A sugar leaf will have a much shallower and much more rounded cut between the lobes. Think of a sugar bowl if you want a way to remember.

Reactions: TreePointer
Both silver maple. Deep sinuses on leaves give it away.

This time of year, some leaves have not reached full maturity, which may account for variation. Also, it's not uncommon to see hybrid maples in the wild.

Reactions: ScotO and StihlHead
Both of the leaves are within the normal range of variation of Silver Maple leaves. The bark on both look exactly like Silver Maple to me. Although Sugar Maple trunks can sometimes have shaggy bark, those would be unusually shaggy for Sugar Maples.

The leaf on the right might be a red/silver hybrid. I'm going to guess the one on the right came from the first two trunk pics and the left from the second two. The more maple I cut the more I realize just how bad I suck at Maple bark Id's. I've had several that at first glance at the bark I thought were silver or sugar only to look at the leaves and find out otherwise.

Silver maple.
Any idea how old they are?
Look to be big-uns!

Well then , I guess they are 2 different types of silver maple cuz their bark is quit different

Silver maple.
Any idea how old they are?
Look to be big-uns!

They have grown about twice their size in the 21 years I have been here, they my be , IDK wild guess 40-50 yrs old

I had silver maples in my back yard as a kid. I remember the trunks as being smooth barked like beech but my memory might be either failing me or the trees were very young as well.
There was one very noteworthy characteristic to the leaves. The backsides had microscopic white hairs that gave the leaves a silver color. They glow white in moonlight, like the herb plant Silverking.
I believe the scientific term is hoary.

Status
Not open for further replies.