ID mystery wood (for me)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
While scrounging picked up a 1/2 of a large round (originally 24" round). New it was some thing unusual. But it wasn't rotten and looked burnable. Its wood is very curly and light.
Sorry for the bad pictures. The bark fell off with the first wack. In the picture the bark is sitting on top of the split. The bark is also partially wet from rain (rt side).

Attachments

• wood weird.jpg
    wood weird.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 261
  • wood weird bark.jpg
    wood weird bark.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 272
Thas a bad pic but for now I will roll with Box elder and looks to be the bottom of the truck.

good call on that, guys. I'm inclined to agree. It is pretty blurry, though, so I don't know if i would have made that call on my own. But now that you say it, I think you are right.

Is boxelder known for having curly grain (like curly maple)?

gzecc said:
boxelder is a maple.

gzecc said:

Any wood will can get curly at the butt end of a trunk and see it even heavier with tree's that have been trimmed.

Danno77 said:
gzecc said:
boxelder is a maple.

Plants are classified by fruit or flower. All maples have samaras (the helicopter seed things you can attach to your nose with Norway maples)

Acer negundo - Box elder
Acer platanoides - Norway maple
Acer Saccharum- Sugar maple
Acer Saccharinum - Silver Maple
A. Rubrum - Red Maple
etc.

Matt

You guys are good!

That purple-ish streak in the heartwood is very distinctive. I dont think I've ever seen it in anything BUT box elder.

smokinjay said:
Thas a bad pic but for now I will roll with Box elder and looks to be the bottom of the truck.

+1 on both observations. Good eye, SJ.

Gzecc... where'd you get that lens? Looks like one of those Softar II filters they use on centerfold models to cover up their facial wrinkles and stretch marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.