ID please, and scrounge photos

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ailanthus

Feeling the Heat
Feb 17, 2012
Shen Valley, VA
A buddy of mine who is in the landscaping business dropped off dumptruck load of storm damaged tree logs the other day. I told him I wasn't picky and any hardwood would be fine. I know part of it is bradford pear, which I think should be decent, and at least half the load is this stuff: wood5.jpgwood4.jpg
It seems pretty light and is almost white inside when split. There were a few sticks in the load with maple leaves, so could this be some kind of maple? Doesn't seem like the greatest stuff, but I'm really curious what it is. Any ideas? I know the pictures aren't the greatest.

And here's a picture of the pile. So far I'm guessing I've gotten at least 4 cord of storm damage wood in the past week - 2+ from my walnut tree that got damaged, this load, another load that someone else is bringing here to dump off, and a few small loads that I picked up curbside just from driving through a few neighborhoods after the storm.
wood1.jpg

Attachments

• wood3.jpg
    wood3.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 141
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 138
I think the light colored wood is maple, and the wilty leaves in a couple of the photos indicate Sugar Maple. For some reason the leaves look odd to me.

Looks like maple to me too, thats the good thing about storms, hate to see them because they can cause so much damage and lost lives but theres usually a lot of good wood for the taking.

could be norway maple...are the back of the leaves opaque or glossy ?

Reactions: ScotO
It's a type of Maple, hardwood but a little more on the softer side if that makes sense. I get that here a lot in Eastern PA.-it's good stuff, easy to work with, burns nice, etc. I grab it when I see it.

Looks like a young soft maple. Split it and you can burn it in 6 months. It also makes excellent kindling and is easy to split.

Reactions: ScotO
Those leaves are not Red Maple. The edges of Red Maple leaves have many small teeth, but the leaves in the picture do not. The bark on the tree does not look like Norway Maple. I'll stick with Sugar Maple.

Nice score.
Whatever kind of maple it is, it's good wood.
Add in it was delivered, you got it at a good price ;)
Split & stacked pictures :)

Maple of some sort . . . firewood to be sure.

That whole pile isn't maple, but some of the maple that I see in it is definately Norway maple. Which is a really good firewood. Seems to take a bit longer to season than silver or red maple, but not as long as sugar maple. Also looks like some silver maple in there too! Either way, that's good stuff. Your pear will also be a good firewood. Get that stuff split and stacked, keep the splits on the small to medium side and it should be ready this winter.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I fully agree Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.