ID please. I think it's Black Locust but....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boiler74

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2012
West Lafayette, IN
I know BL has been beaten to death on here lately, but I'm not sure if this is it. Neighbor says it is. Deep furrowed bark, yellow wood. Stringy and a pain to split. Any help appreciated.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Josh

Sure is, but a lot of times it will be pretty easy to split. The way the bark fell off, it's probably dried out somewhat already. I don't know if it would be great after one summer but it might be OK.

How much you get? I like to let it season two years, there was a noticeable difference when I let it go the extra year.

Great. I think I got about a cord of it. Still working on the pile. I have a buddy that is an excavating contractor. He cleared a lot near me and brought me four tri-axles of wood. Yep.... 4. It so far has been a mix of black cherry, red oak, sassafras, and this black locust. I'm playing catch up on the three year plan so trying to get ahead. It was brought last summer, and my intention was to work on it this winter. But, as we all know, winter wasn't kind so it sat a little longer than planned. Luckily I've had some wood drying already and the cherry and sass should be ready to go next winter. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: ailanthus
BL

You're set for a while with that haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.