ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattsmth

Jan 17, 2013
Could you fellas help with an ID on a load off free wood. It smells like licorice. Thanks.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 123
Smells like root beer, I'll bet!
sassafrass.Light, good kindling wood, low btu's but dries quick

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Fun to split, too!

Reactions: Woody Stover
I've been cutting straight dead ones to use as sleepers to stack on. If they're not as straight, I cut shorter rounds to elevate pallets. It's fairly rot-resistant.

I love that stuff. My favorite smelling wood. Enjoy

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Sassafras is a good addition to the wood stacks.
Smells great & burns good.

I have to cut one every now and then just to enjoy the scent.

Reactions: Defiant
We used to get a few sticks of that every now and then back in the 80's when I worked for a landscaper. He would get pole lengths in, we would split with a Super Split log splitter. He was a dealer for them, and that thing rocked! Anyways, every time I would get into some Sassy, I would take a few small pcs and put them in my truck. Makes a great air freshener ;-) I always loved the beauty of that bark & the wood also.

I keep a few thin slices of sassafras rounds in the shed . I hit them with sand paper and bring that aroma right back.

Love the Sass!

Great ID pics
Being an aromatic wood snob, its interesting to hear what people write about burning a lower grade BTU tree. I heat with a fuel oil boiler. The fireplaces and woodstoves are ambiance pretty much. No wood boilers yet. No closed off combustion chambers.
I grew up with open fireplaces as a heat source in our summer home by the Canadian border. With not fully seasoned sugar maple.
I've never even seen a Sassafras tree but it sounds like it lends itself to open firepits and lakeside campfires. One of those 'western' woods I have yet to experience.

[quote=". One of those 'western' woods I have yet to experience.[/quote]

Eastern too. We have sass in NC

[quote=". One of those 'western' woods I have yet to experience.[/quote]

Eastern too. We have sass in NC

I have yet to a sass that big around here they are usually pretty small.

Sass tends to "pop" due to moisture pockets in the wood. Not quite as much as Mulberry, but usually has a few pops to it when burning.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I'm going to try it for the first time this fall. Splits very easy and the saw handles it easy. Dries fast
I think this winter I will get alot more and use it as a mixer with other shoulder season wood when I start burning next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.