ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleepy

Jan 23, 2008
Western Pa.
I really need to learn to identify the trees that grow in my area.

I brought home some wood I cut from a tree to left lying at a friends property. It was a cut top held off the ground by it's branches.

There was a healthy tree nearby that was about 12" diameter at the base that had the same bark. It has smooth light gray bark and the leaves look similar to leaves on my white ash trees. The wood I cut was 8" diameter and smaller and was light-maybe because it was dry after laying off the ground for awhile. When I split a piece, the grain looked like like red oak. I know ash has similar grain to oak, but the bark is different from my white ash trees. Could this be black ash?

Any idea what I have?

I try to post a picture later.

Status
Not open for further replies.