Id Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
Just took delivery and looks like a big amount of mixed hardwood this time.
Are the first 2 the same?

Attachments

• id11.jpg
    id11.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 509
  • id22.jpg
    id22.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 482
first 2 look like oak 3rd no clue

Guessing 2 sticks of red Oak, One Poplar?

The Oak pieces would be about 2X the wieght of the Poplar.

ATB,
Mike

The 3rd one has some really thick bark

hareball said:
The 3rd one has some really thick bark

and very white, poplar would be my best guess as stated before but I have only seen tulip popular and its not tulip.

Thanks guys :)

The Poplar is good for getting a fire going?

Yes - Poplar will get burning when dry and make room for harder wood quickly.

It does look dry, the thick looking brown flacky stuff in the pic is the dried out cambrium layer that's thick, slick, and wet when first cut.

ATB,
Mike

#1 - can't say with any certainty. First thought was oak, but not too confident. Something in the sapwood ain't right for oak. Bark too for that matter. Maybe another pic - a closeup, plus an end grain?

#2 - Red oak

#3 - Poplar. Final answer, Regis.

zzr7ky said:
Yes - Poplar will get burning when dry and make room for harder wood quickly because it has less BTU's than styrofoam or carboard and is a complete waste of space on a firewood load

ATB,
Mike

Unless yer selling it ;-)

More shots of #1

Attachments

• id33.jpg
    id33.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 402
  • id44.jpg
    id44.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 377
What made me think not oak was that the ends are very dark and it's very light. It seems much farther along in the seasoning than the other red and white oaks in the pile.

Another shot of #3
Some of the splits are loaded up wth wood fibers but the splts don't burn fast like Poplar.

Attachments

• id55.jpg
    id55.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 308
The bark looks like Chestnut Oak, But the slimey layer between the bark and the wood reminds me of Aspen.

lexybird said:
red oak and some type of cottonwood/willow species

+1

I can see the similarity to white oak now after comparing the split with 2 white oaks on my property. What threw me off was the difference in color. The splits have an aqua blue hue to the bark. The fact that it's actually seasoned really blows me away lol! It burns really nice and love the smell. I have a nice little pile started and a pile of the #2 splts that look to have about a year or so of seasoning. I think there might be maple in there too. I'm a noob at tree ID so this is always fun when a cord shows up. :)

As far as the cottonwood type splits is there anything I need to know about burning it? The stuff is like "toy" wood. I feel like it's gonna melt and not burn.

I was just looking around to try and find some Maple ID's and a photo caught my eye like I took the pic. It was the cplor that caught my eye, it looks just like #1

Redmaple_bark.jpg

This is about as good as the camera on the phone can get. The color just washes out.

Attachments

• id66.jpg
    id66.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 177
hareball said:
This is about as good as the camera on the phone can get. The color just washes out.
Based only on that bark photo, sure looks like White Oak.

Here is a good Tree ID with bark variations for White Oak.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• woodbutcher_white_oak.jpg
    woodbutcher_white_oak.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 150
Thanks WB! I just saw you posted that in another thread. Those images gave me alot better of a look. I guess the light weight of the splits is throwing me off.

I should have known better than to mess with the pros :zip:

Status
Not open for further replies.