ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
My scrounger dude dropped off some wood yesterday and said there were 3 more truckloads of this stuff. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• id.jpg
    id.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 594
  • id1.jpg
    id1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 572
Looks like Austrian Pine to me..

Maybe Sass. Bark looks a bit odd though.

My first instinct was cottonwood... but I'm not so sure after looking studying for a bit...

I don't really know... can you help us with more details please? Smells, relative weight, etc.

I will be out tomorrow working on some stacking and will check for smell and weight. Thanks guys!

Pitch pine probly if it is pine??? how tight are the growth rings?

jstellfox said:
Its definitely Chestnut/Rock Oak. Should burn well for you

I agree, that is definitely chestnut oak - its the most common tree on the drier ridges around here. I burn quite a bit of it.

its good wood - get all of it that you can. splits easy enough if there aren't too many knots.

Trying to figure out a round about age from the first pic is tough, but I would venture a guess at about 25-30 years. Taking into consideration the size of the round and the size of the growth rings, I doubt if it is Oak. I'm going with a Pine variety as well.

The rings appear too large for any oak I'm familiar with. I have never cut any pine but if I'm guessing I'll say some sort of pine as well.
Joe

Strong smell on a fresh split, smells like cat piss. Weight is there but for the size don't feel as heavy as the average oak.

Attachments

• id22.jpg
    id22.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 325
  • id33.jpg
    id33.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 354
  • id44.jpg
    id44.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 345
I'm still saying Chestnut Oak. But just to be sure try and find a leaf on your next load.

The medulary rays in the split tell me "oak".

I keep hearing people say that certain oaks smell like cat pee- including red oak. I never got that- it always smelled like steak sauce or something to me.

What do you guys feed your cats?

Last year for the first time i split red, white and pitch pine and it was all a pita! This piece split just about complete with one hit of the maul.

better shot

Attachments

• id55.jpg
    id55.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 318
Adios Pantalones said:
The medulary rays in the split tell me "oak".
Yup, I would say it's an oak.

/thread

hareball said:
Last year for the first time i split red, white and pitch pine and it was all a pita! This piece split just about complete with one hit of the maul.

Ah yes. The beauty that is splitting oak. Chestnut splits more like red oak than white (not as stringy). Makes you feel like a man.

Oak..... I used hike this spot and always marveled at how big the giant oaks where n that the bark was so different.... Then they built houses there n clear cut the trees I did get some wood it looked just like that bark remember the acorns where huge.....

That wood is junk!

This late in the year you better plan on trading that for something more useful.

Due to the fact that I'm an upstanding guy (when I'm not sitting) I will trade you even up any mix you want of Aspen, Bass, Pine and Witch Hazel for that [del]Chestnut Oak[/del] junk wood you got dumped on ya!!

Jimbo

Status
Not open for further replies.