ID Please :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyWayne718

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2009
Kentucky
They are both stringy when splitting, the one on the right is a lot worse thou an also has a very distinct smell. Let me know if you guys need closer pics. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 100_1943.jpg
    100_1943.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 346
  • 100_1944.jpg
    100_1944.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 350
  • 100_1945.jpg
    100_1945.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 377
White ash on the left, not sure what is on the right. Don't burn that black thing on the top of the second picture. ;)

I was thinkin that was ash but wasnt sure if it was white or what. The one on the right had all kinds of limbs, almost like pine or something. There are no pines where I got it thou, all I got was the trunk in my father inlaws hay field that the DOT or something left there. It was extremly hard too. That is my russian blue, Coors. I'd like to burn him sometimes! J/K

Does Elm have really strong smell?

The bark on the left-hand split looks like Ash or Elm. The wood on the same split looks whitish, which makes me think Ash, but the stringiness suggests Elm. The one on the right side is definitely not Ash or Elm. The bark and the apparent colored streaks in the wood, plus the strong smell, suggest Sassafras.

I'm positive the left side is white ash. I've had plenty of stringy ash before. It's typically straight and easy to split, but I've had plenty of nasty trees that grew funny over time.

ikessky said:
I'm positive the left side is white ash. I've had plenty of stringy ash before. It's typically straight and easy to split, but I've had plenty of nasty trees that grew funny over time.

Agree. I split almost a cord of white ash this weekend and about 50% of it was stringy.

The one on the right does look like it could be Sassafras. I wouldn't bet my paycheck on it though.

The results of the cat scan are in:
The left is afflicted with a case of white ash, and the right has a serious case of Sassafras albidum (for which the only cure is to drink tea, while sterilizing it in a very hot fire).

Thanks fellas! Sorta off subject but, is sassafras a good firewood? I can't seem to find it on a BTU chart or anything

I burned a bunch last year. It produces a very hot, but very fast fire. It makes a lot of sparks too.

Good for taking the chill off a room and nice to watch, but not good for overnight burns.

That bark looks too plated to be Sassafras. Sassafras is very ridged. Sure doesnt look like any Sassafras we have in my area.

dannynelson77 said:
That bark looks too plated to be Sassafras. Sassafras is very ridged. Sure doesnt look like any Sassafras we have in my area.

+1 looks more like a pine to me

I agree on the ash but that is not sassafras. However, I am not sure what it is; only sure it is not sassafras.

smokinjay said:
dannynelson77 said:

+1 looks more like a pine to me

Jay - I was leaning more towards pine also, but the statement of a very strong smell throws me off.

#2 is a pine/spruce/hemlock Large growth rings, many small branches, fact that no one took it yet, Jay says its Pine

Four reasons like that, it's conclusive

The split on the left looks like ash . . . although seeing some leaves would really help with the ID.

The split on the right looks like hemlock to me . . . although knowing if it had needles or leaves would most definitely help with that tree ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.