ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwill

Oct 13, 2010
W. MI
I think some of this is black walnut but im not sure what the orange heartwood is. I dont have any pics of it, but when i was cutting there was also a few logs that had bright, almost neon yellow color to the chips. Had a smooth greenish bark.

So, what do you guys see in this pile?

Attachments

• 100_1913-1.jpg
    100_1913-1.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 362
  • 100_1909-1.jpg
    100_1909-1.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 348
  • 100_1906-1.jpg
    100_1906-1.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 345
Looks like two kinds of wood there. Not sure, but you got somthing good...Yellow is your fellow in the north. Black locust or Mulberry? Last pic looks like black birch?

Pretty sure that 2nd pic is Mulberry,there's some of it in pic one also.3rd pic looks like younger Black Cherry.You got a nice mix of wood in that score.

I cut off 2 mostly dead limbs from large old Mulberry in my backyard last Monday,great burning wood one of my favs.Its one of the easier woods to identify around here,along with White Oak,Shagbark Hickory & Black Walnut.

Attachments

• mulberry (6).jpg
    mulberry (6).jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 324
Thistle said:
Pretty sure that 2nd pic is Mulberry,there's some of it in pic one also.3rd pic looks like younger Black Cherry.You got a nice mix of wood in that score.

I cut off 2 mostly dead limbs from large old Mulberry in my backyard last Monday,great burning wood one of my favs.Its one of the easier woods to identify around here,along with White Oak,Shagbark Hickory & Black Walnut.

Got to agree, those with your pics and the OP first two are dead on...Mulberry there!

mulberry sounds good. there is some that have a dark center, kinda grey/brown really nice looking. any idea what that would be? there is some small pieces of it in the first pic. All of the wood is from a stand near a field that we removed last fall to make room for irrigation. Still got ALOT more to get. Was 15+ trees total.

I think that third picture is an ornamental cherry. The wood looks reddish and the bark seems right. Could be an edible cherry, could be one of the strictly ornamnetal kinds. Is this wood from a yard, street trees, park, etc? If the wood is from the forest then I am probably way off.

I agree w/the cherry. Big round at the bottom of pile in first pic and the last pic with smooth bark all look like the cherry around me.

Geez 1st and 2nd looks just like the black walnut I have been splitting but I will agree on Cherry in 3rd pic.

Big round bottom left in first picture looks like Walnut.

Status
Not open for further replies.