ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buggyspapa

Nov 26, 2011
Scarborough, Maine
Small dead tree with odd bark. I think it might be sweet birch? I don't have a good sense of smell, so can't detect an odor. Wood ID.16.jpgWood ID 2.32.jpg

Black Cherry

Some very nice cherry that will burn great.

Cherry will have small sap pockets along the grain when you split it. The bark looks right for cherry.

Black Cherry, smells nice when you cut it and when you burn it

Definately Cherry (around here we call it wild cherry). I have about 4 cord of of it and more of it in slabs.

Looks like black cherry for sure. Th smell will tell! Some times folks new to tree I.D. confuse black cherry, red bud and honey locust (the type without the man eating thorns). The bark and wood look a little bit alike until you get them side by side for a good visual comparison. Once you know, you know.()

Black cherry . . . based on the bark, interior wood color, size and to some degree how it looks while it is dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.