ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swagler85

Minister of Fire
Mar 4, 2012
NE Ohio
seansellsohio.com
The big oak I hauled in from the storm took this lil guy out and I threw it in with the load of oak. Not sure what it is, it was dead standing about 12 inches at the base. Bark looks like cherry, but wood in the inside is yellow like mulberry. Had lost about half the bark before I got it so not much there to ID from. Wood is very knarly, havent tried to split any yet though. One,more note is how knarly and the fact it was dead and a yard tree Im thinking maybe some hybrid yard tree. 2012-06-21 21.48.39 (Medium).jpg2012-06-21 21.48.44 (Medium).jpg2012-06-21 21.49.02 (Medium).jpg

Any particular odor as you were cutting?

I think it looks like honey locust also

Reactions: ScotO
I'm adding to the honey locust crowd. Throw that oak aside and get the locust! ;) Just kidding, go ahead and keep the oak, bring the honey locust over to my place...>> You don't want that stuff in your stacks....;hm

Cool, I've got another stack of locust I will add that to. The locust was cut live this summer. How long does locust take to dry?

Cool, I've got another stack of locust I will add that to. The locust was cut live this summer. How long does locust take to dry?
It dries pretty quickly, but it's best to give it a year for optimum BTU's. However, if we continue to have this friggin heatwave, it MAY possibly be ready this winter......

It dries pretty quickly, but it's best to give it a year for optimum BTU's. However, if we continue to have this friggin heatwave, it MAY possibly be ready this winter......

Thanks I'll be good then, Im almost done with my 2013-2014 supply it will got stack. The oak Im processing now I will be using for 2014-2016, will need to add some shoulder season wood to that but that wont be a problem to find. This forum has really made me get ahead, started just this past Nov and I think I have a problem like many others on here admit. Wood cutters anonymous may be starting soon for people with serious problems.

The good wood is yellow, locust is my guess .
Maybe "Gramps wood"
Face looks similar to gramps, right after Grandma hit him in the mouth for a snide comment & he's wearing the same hat he wore LOL :)
gramps.jpg

That looks like a Thornless Honey Locust, which is a common yard tree.

Possibly a redbud if its a yard tree. The few that I have cut, have been yellow

You have White sapwood, yellow heartwood and rot in the photos above.

If I had to guess I would say Honey locust.

Maybe just since its been dead for a while it lost some of the color?

Maybe just since its been dead for a while it lost some of the color?

Been dead longer thantthe truck's been stuck? LOL :)
If it difficult to drive a nail in it, dry locust ;)
Great firewood !

Status
Not open for further replies.