ID this split please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2012
Southeast Indiana
Two pictures of the bark on a couple of splits..........what kind of wood is it ?

Attachments

• bearded asil hen 048.jpg
    bearded asil hen 048.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 186
  • bearded asil hen 049.jpg
    bearded asil hen 049.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 179
Two pictures of the bark on a couple of splits..........what kind of wood is it ?

Looks like some aspen I just collected.

Aspen 60% sure ,
30% possibility birch,
10% cottonwood.

Aspen 60% sure ,
30% possibility birch,
1% cottonwood.

I wonder how other Cottonwoods look when split? I have a bunch of Eastern I split last year and it's not as stringy as the Elm I have, but it's definitely not as smooth as what's shown.

I thought Aspen only grew above 6,000' elevation?

I thought Aspen only grew above 6,000' elevation?

They are part of the popular tree species...so is Cottonwood, and are native here at 1400'.

They are part of the popular tree species...so is Cottonwood, and are native here at 1400'.

Wikipedia:

"In the western United States, this tree rarely survives at elevations lower than 1,500 feet (460 m) due to the mild winters experienced below that elevation, and is generally found at 5,000–12,000 feet (1,500–3,700 m)."

This is what I was remembering (regarding quaking aspen), from my time in Colorado. I didn't realize it grew at lower elevations to the east, including northern Nebraska and Indiana. Live and learn!

Wikipedia:

"In the western United States, this tree rarely survives at elevations lower than 1,500 feet (460 m) due to the mild winters experienced below that elevation, and is generally found at 5,000–12,000 feet (1,500–3,700 m)."

This is what I was remembering (regarding quaking aspen), from my time in Colorado. I didn't realize it grew at lower elevations to the east, including northern Nebraska and Indiana. Live and learn!

Interesting, we have a lot of the Popular family, cottonwood, bigtooth aspen and quaking aspen. A lot of windbreaks are aspen.

About 400 feet here,
aspen in the lot across the street ;)

It grows nearly everywhere in Michigan, 600' to 1800' . And that is Aspen you have in the OP. I once had a tour guide at the Grand Canyon try to tell his guests that aspen only grew in the Rockies, I had to take a few minutes to educate him a little bit, took a bit but after explaining my background he came around. ;)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Poplar aka aspen aka popple.
I wouldn't go out of my way for it . . . but it is useful for shoulder season fires or for burning down the coals.

Looks like a bigtooth aspen (we're about 1000 feet, have them growing all over).

zap

The wood looks like Aspen (poplar) to me. Bigtooth Aspen and Quaking Aspen both grow at all elevations here in PA and I think throughout the east. They are not related to Tulip Poplar, which is not a true poplar in the genus Populus. I'd guess bigtooth aspen because of the orange color of the bark.

The photo to the right looks exactly like the Quaking aspen (Populus tremuloides)that I have growing here in NY. I burn these woods because of woodlot management practices. I dont mind what some might deem as wasted effort. I accept it as biodiversity. The upper limbs almost feel like they have a wax coating on them. Wicked fast growing sun loving creatures.

The photo to the right looks exactly like the Quaking aspen (Populus tremuloides)that I have growing here in NY. I burn these woods because of woodlot management practices. I dont mind what some might deem as wasted effort. I accept it as biodiversity. The upper limbs almost feel like they have a wax coating on them. Wicked fast growing sun loving creatures.
Yeah the picture on the left...the orange...Im not sure.

This is a tree I cut down in August and posted it as a beech. Backwoods Savage and a few others said it was popple at the time and I and a few others were convinced it was a beech. I posted this thread of the splits because I myself began to realize it was not a beech after it started seasoning. How this lonestar aspen got into my woods in this region will be a mystery. Live and learn :oops:
Thanks to all that posted

This is a tree I cut down in August and posted it as a beech. Backwoods Savage and a few others said it was popple at the time and I and a few others were convinced it was a beech. I posted this thread of the splits because I myself began to realize it was not a beech after it started seasoning. How this lonestar aspen got into my woods in this region will be a mystery. Live and learn :oops:
Thanks to all that posted
Not much of a mystery,probably was deposited by migrating birds doing what birds do frequently. How did fish get in a swamp in my woods in the middle of no where?Many different species at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.