Id this VC insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roostriz

Oct 25, 2011
New Jersey
Hi all,
I just registered but have been lurking here for a few months. I am in the market for a used wood burning insert. I came across the attached one nearby and wondered if anyone could ID the model and had any feedback. The owner says it's a Vermont Castings and is about 10 years old. Thanks.

Chris

Attachments

• woodstove.jpg
    woodstove.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 670
Roostriz said:
Hi all,
I just registered but have been lurking here for a few months. I am in the market for a used wood burning insert. I came across the attached one nearby and wondered if anyone could ID the model and had any feedback. The owner says it's a Vermont Castings and is about 10 years old. Thanks.

Chris

I believe it is just called the Vermont Castings Fireplace Insert. I think I have a manual for it somewhere.

It's a lot older than 10 years and I found the manual

How much space are you trying to heat and how much is the stove listed for?

BrowningBAR said:

Is there any re-burn technology in that beast or is it just an old smoker?

Jags said:
BrowningBAR said:

Is there any re-burn technology in that beast or is it just an old smoker?

'Kind of' would be the best way to describe it. It works like the Vigilant as it has a damper and goes from vertical burn to horizontal burn. behind the back panel is a "refractory lined secondary combustion chamber."

It's probably cleaner burning than the Vigilant, but I would guess, not nearly as efficient as a newer stove. I believe I passed on it due to the possibility that it didn't heat that well. I never used one, though.

I'm heating a 1900 square foot house. The room it is going into is my living room which is about 320 sq/ft itself but it is open to my dining room through a large opening and my stairs also are located along one wall in the living room. I currently have an old shrader fireplace which heats the immediate area but leaves a lot ot be desired. So you guys think I should pass on this model and try to find something newer?

Roostriz said:
I currently have an old shrader fireplace which heats the immediate area but leaves a lot ot be desired. So you guys think I should pass on this model and try to find something newer?

This will be some improvement over the shrader for sure, but it won't be the big leap you could get with a newer stove. If I were putting in the time/money/effort to replace the old FP, I would get the best bang for your buck that you can. Stepping up to a stove with re-burn tech fits into this plan. Just one dudes opinion.

Roostriz said:
I'm heating a 1900 square foot house. The room it is going into is my living room which is about 320 sq/ft itself but it is open to my dining room through a large opening and my stairs also are located along one wall in the living room. I currently have an old shrader fireplace which heats the immediate area but leaves a lot ot be desired. So you guys think I should pass on this model and try to find something newer?

New or old, I'd go larger than the VC you are looking at. I've never had much luck finding good used inserts when I was stove shopping, but here are a few that should be within driving distance of you.

QuadraFire Insert:
http://allentown.craigslist.org/for/2633502711.html

napoleon 1400
http://reading.craigslist.org/for/2655639839.html

Lopi - Freedom Bay
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/hsh/2621692746.html

Englander Insert
http://york.craigslist.org/app/2617323320.html

Quadra Fire 5100
http://poconos.craigslist.org/app/2667749677.html

I was actually looking on CL for Quadrafires moments ago. I think I can fit the 5100 but will have to check my measurements. I know the freedom bay is about an inch too wide in the rear as I already looked at one of those. I appreciate all the advice. I just can't afford to drop $3000 on a new insert at this point. I'll let you know how I make out.

Roostriz said:
I was actually looking on CL for Quadrafires moments ago. I think I can fit the 5100 but will have to check my measurements. I know the freedom bay is about an inch too wide in the rear as I already looked at one of those. I appreciate all the advice. I just can't afford to drop $3000 on a new insert at this point. I'll let you know how I make out.

I completely understand. I have purchased all of my stoves used.

Roostriz said:
I just can't afford to drop $3000 on a new insert at this point.

I can understand that, but it doesn't have to be new. The EPA rules have been out for quite some time now. They do hit the used market.

Jags said:
Roostriz said:
I just can't afford to drop $3000 on a new insert at this point.

I can understand that, but it doesn't have to be new. The EPA rules have been out for quite some time now. They do hit the used market.

And the Northeast is littered with great used stoves available.

Shane said:
Its a Vermont Castings Winter Warm, Large I believe, Was in the 70%+ range for efficiency if memory serves.

Nope, not the WinterWarm. It is the FPI Wood Insert 0044 or the FirePlaceInsert. Much older and less efficient than the WinterWarm

Hello,

You guys are good...I have a Winter Warm large. It has a single door. Don't remember a double on this model...Mine was mfg in 1989 with a cat..If you look on the inside of the door you will probably find the ulc stamp, mfg date and serial number..I still have the fireside advisor that came with it, but forgot where I stored it..I bought mine in 1993..The emission are 2.1 per hr..Think it was 78.3% efficiency..This is why I replaced worn out parts instead of buying a new insert.

Had trouble trying to find the same qualities in a steel insert..Expensive if you're into cast iron like me. If I had to do it again, would seriously consider a freestanding stove. Unfortunately for me I would have structural issues with my fp. Good luck in your search for a new insert. Like you I am a new member. Welcome. You are in good company here..

BB good show! You are the best!

found my fireside advisor! corrected the efficiency rating to 78.3% for the large 79% for the small...

piejam said:
Hello,

You guys are good...I have a Winter Warm large. It has a single door. Don't remember a double on this model...Mine was mfg in 1989 with a cat..If you look on the inside of the door you will probably find the ulc stamp, mfg date and serial number..I still have the fireside advisor that came with it, but forgot where I stored it..I bought mine in 1993..The emission are 2.1 per hr..Think it was 72% efficiency..This is why I replaced worn out parts instead of buying a new insert.

Had trouble trying to find the same qualities in a steel insert..Expensive if you're into cast iron like me. If I had to do it again, would seriously consider a freestanding stove. Unfortunately for me I would have structural issues with my fp. Good luck in your search for a new insert. Like you I am a new member. Welcome. You are in good company here..

Thanks Piejam.

I called about the QF 5100 today, we'll see what happens. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like he's playing games.

Roostriz said:
piejam said:
Hello,

You guys are good...I have a Winter Warm large. It has a single door. Don't remember a double on this model...Mine was mfg in 1989 with a cat..If you look on the inside of the door you will probably find the ulc stamp, mfg date and serial number..I still have the fireside advisor that came with it, but forgot where I stored it..I bought mine in 1993..The emission are 2.1 per hr..Think it was 72% efficiency..This is why I replaced worn out parts instead of buying a new insert.

Thanks Piejam.

I called about the QF 5100 today, we'll see what happens. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like he's playing games.

That's the one thing you need to prepare yourself for when buy a stove through CraigsList. I've had two Woodstock Fireviews and and two Hearthstone Mansfields jerked around on me in the past two and a half years.

Good Morning,

Any updates? I hope you get a insert/stove soon! Do you have a good supply of wood? The seasoned stuff is going very quickly now and costly..Getting cold here on long island at night so Jersey must be worse..Brrrr...

To my neighbors north and west of me, I hope you made out ok with the last storm..We had some frozen rain in suffolk county but that was it..never lost power thank god. Let us know how you are doing good or bad..We are rooting for you!

that is def a VC 044 - I had one for a couple of years before buying the Jotul. I sold it to someone in NY, for around $200 I think - the fans are built into the side, with the ash drawer on the bottom. not a good heater without the fans. One of mine stopped working, and the other one squealed.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/38261/

piejam said:
Good Morning,

Any updates? I hope you get a insert/stove soon! Do you have a good supply of wood? The seasoned stuff is going very quickly now and costly..Getting cold here on long island at night so Jersey must be worse..Brrrr...

To my neighbors north and west of me, I hope you made out ok with the last storm..We had some frozen rain in suffolk county but that was it..never lost power thank god. Let us know how you are doing good or bad..We are rooting for you!

*Sorry to highjack this thread. Piejam, how did things go with getting wood this year? Were you able to sufficiently repair your insert? This week has been a nice warm stint. I'm sure it won't last, but it's nice while it's here.

Howdy Neighbor!

Yes the insert is repaired. Thanks for asking..Newbie needs help with wood burning insert thread is still alive. I do periodically update it. Got so called seasoned wood(7 mos) which was wet but its next year's load. That's why I asked the OP of this thread if he got any..Sure hope he updates here so ppl can help him. You're right this week wqs warm but getting ready for tomorrow..Supposed to be cool friday nite..

The guys suggested to purchase a Fiskars 17' kindling splitter(mine went awol) and works great, light and easy to handle. Hey Roostriz where are ya buddy? How is the quest for a new insert coming? Don't get discouraged..hang in there..Happy Hunting and let us know how the community can help..Not that I can but there are very knowledgeable ppl here at Hearth.com...A cornucopia of useful information!

piejam said:
Howdy Neighbor!

Yes the insert is repaired. Thanks for asking..Newbie needs help with wood burning insert thread is still alive. I do periodically update it. Got so called seasoned wood(7 mos) which was wet but its next year's load. That's why I asked the OP of this thread if he got any..Sure hope he updates here so ppl can help him. You're right this week wqs warm but getting ready for tomorrow..Supposed to be cool friday nite..

The guys suggested to purchase a Fiskars 17' kindling splitter(mine went awol) and works great, light and easy to handle. Hey Roostriz where are ya buddy? How is the quest for a new insert coming? Don't get discouraged..hang in there..Happy Hunting and let us know how the community can help..Not that I can but there are very knowledgeable ppl here at Hearth.com...A cornucopia of useful information!

Glad to hear its repaired. Having good seasoned wood on hand is always a challenge. Roostriz started another thread stating that he bought a quad 5100 that doesn't fit his fireplace. Hopefully the guys here will help him out. He seemed pretty upset about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.