ID ,what wood it that ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
Took a short cut and saw this
Maybe maple ?
Not a great pic
IMG_20130724_175126.jpg

Reactions: Mitch Newton
Well...

a) its free
b) its a hardwood
c) it does not look like cottonwood

So I would take it before someone else does and think about what it is later. I would guess box elder or maple. Rotten centers, birds eye look & multi-branched. Knowing this forum someone will say its red elm though... :p

Looks like maple. Just get it quick, like StihlHead said.

Reactions: smokinj
Go get it before it's Gonewood.

Reactions: NortheastAl
Looks like willow!

Reactions: NortheastAl
Went and picked it up, home owner helped load , he said ,it was half dead and there was bees nest in it.
Owner didn't know what it was so probably not willow
Split a piece off with the x25, doesn't smell good

I don't know what it is

IMG_20130724_201614.jpgIMG_20130724_201732.jpgIMG_20130724_201745.jpgIMG_20130724_202212.jpg

Some of those pieces are going to suck to split with the Fiskars

Reactions: Beer Belly
I have hydraulics :)

I have a few 6" thick pieces of box elder that I use as splitting blocks as they seem to self-heal.

Reactions: osagebow
I have a few 6" thick pieces of box elder that I use as splitting blocks as they seem to self-heal.

Well if it gets hard to split with the 7 ton ,it will make some cool lookin noodles, with the red in there ;lol

Reactions: Shane N
Sorry HD its box elder. The red in it is the giveaway. When dry it burns very good.
Just don't blink it will burn away quickly. Hey its free. If you have room, its not willow.;)

I found box elder to burn well. Slightly better than shoulder season wood, depending. A lower heat maple. Worth the effort to fetch and split it in my opinion. I like the grain pattern and it is easy to split and work with. Well, except for that crotch and burl wood there, I would use the chainsaw to split that gnarly stuff.

Box elder maple has three leaves and not the distinct maple leaf pattern, so a lot of people do not know what it is. It commonly rots out in the center for whatever reason and bees commonly use them for natural hives. They tend to have shallow spreading roots, and our dogs used to dig out under them and make them into dens. The sheep love to eat the leaves of those trees, and they sucker like crazy, so I would cut the suckers in summer and leave them for the sheep to dine on. Munch munch munch...

Reactions: HDRock
Sorry HD its box elder. The red in it is the giveaway. When dry it burns very good.
Just don't blink it will burn away quickly. Hey its free. If you have room, its not willow.;)
Yep It's free and it will burn, was 2 miles away and like said I can use some more shoulder wood any way

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Status
Not open for further replies.