ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCounty

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2009
Southeast PA
Helped my brother take down a standing dead in his back yard. Not sure what it is. Elm? Maple? It was 3 feet at base with about a 2 foot hollowed out center.
007.png

008.png

My "guess" is box elder. Never seen a hollow elm.

Looks like boxelder to me also. I have seen hollow elm however!

Also in agreement here.

Amoeba-shaped stain, hints of blood color, look of bark, new branches sprouting through trunk all mean BOXELDER.

Thanks everyone. Yes, it stinks!

How's it split?

On another note, I got out to splitting some scrounged wood recently. I split a few logs I picked up on the way home from work prior to Christmas when a cutting crew was working a nearby road. They were chipping rounds up to 13-15". I asked for some of the wood and they quickly loaded my truck. It was all red oak but I wasn't aware. All I knew was it was heavy! I couldn't believe it when I split the other day. They were chipping all of that prime wood. I wish I would have gone back for more. But, grateful for what I got!

It is in the maple family and gets a bad rap but still gives some heat. Sort of pretty when you split it.

Ahhaa. I was wondering what the red was I noticed when bucking the tree. As soon as it stops raining and the ground dries somewhat, I will get the wood back to the pile and split it.

Status
Not open for further replies.