Idea for Cold Air Return???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spolleypt

Oct 17, 2012
Maine
I have a Vigilant in the basement and use the stairwell as a hot and cold return with limited success. New wood floors upstair and wife is frowning about cutting holes for cold air returns. Then I had a thought.... Can I put a "T" in my downdraft stove exhaust pipe in basement with a damper. Damper wood divert the flow from exhausting out to my basement. The downdraft fan is pretty strong and on low should move a lot of air down the basement allowing more flow up the stairwell. (They are 20 feet away from each other and the kitchen is the coldest room right now). Has anyone tried this or have any good reason not to?
Thanks

Please clarify what you are trying to do. I am not understanding this statement: Can I put a "T" in my downdraft stove exhaust pipe in basement with a damper.

I am trying to return cold air to the basement via my downdraft stove exhaust fan. The 6" duct work exits my stove and runs to the outside of my house in the basement. I don't use the downdraft exhaust much so I thought I could divert the exhaust air from my kitchen into the basement (where the woodstove is) by adding an 6" duct "T" with a damper in the duct before it exits the outside wall. This will then suck cold air from my kitchen into the basement much like a cold air return would (except without cutting hole in my floor)

Sorry to be dense here but I can't visualize this. The Vigilant has no blower nor blower connection. Have you rigged some sort of blower to it? Why would it exit the house? You're not talking about the stove's flue correct?

Sorry to be dense here but I can't visualize this. The Vigilant has no blower nor blower connection. Have you rigged some sort of blower to it? Why would it exit the house? You're not talking about the stove's flue correct?

No worries. I used “stove” to describe two different items. My GE Electric Range in my kitchen on first floor has a downdraft option that vents to outside via ductwork running through my basement. My Vigilant Woodstove is in the basement. I would like to redirect electric range duct to vent into the basement instead of outside. I can run the fan without the stove/oven on and thus bring cold air into basement via the electric stove in kitchen.

OH, that stove. ;) This is a significant difference. It wouldn't hurt to try temporarily I suppose. However, if it works well I would come up with a more permanent solution that is quieter and perhaps less expensive. That way if the rice is burnt the whole house doesn't end up stinking. Use a thermometer to accurately quantify the change if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.