idea- "special equipment club"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
how many of us wish we could have certain pieces of instrumentation but we either cannot afford them or cannot justify the expense on something that will be used only once, or occasionally

here is an idea some folks near me started for an equipment exchange

http://www.adamantcoop.org/equip.html

I know it would have to be done carefully, with some kind of deposit and accountability, but wouldn't it be great if the

Great Hearth Benevolent Mad Scientist Boiler Room Collective

could get something like this off the ground

get a combustion analyzer for a week for a moderate fee

swap different makes and models of moisture meters or "try before you buy"

draft meters for checking and setting up chimneys and dampers

infrared point and shoot thermometers

I am sure that there are things that I am not yet thinking of

I do not have time to start or run this, but if people like the idea, I hope someone else might have time and willingness to run with it

I am not sure what company does it for this type of equipment but when I was doing alot of telecom and data work we would often rent the equipment the equipment needed for a specific job. The prices were fairly decent say renting a 20,000 data logging recordable meter for 300.00 a week . Granted its not an exchange but it does give you ability to use high end equipment for a reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.