1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

ideal operating temperatures

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by steven schultz, Dec 30, 2012.

1. steven schultz

steven schultz New Member

Hello -
    first, apologies if this has been covered, and thanks in advance for pointers to any threads I've missed.
    Three questions related to my VC Winterwarm (small) catalytic insert:
    1) what temperature should the stove reach before engaging the cat?
    2) what is the max operating temp for the stove?
    3) I recently obtained an infrared thermometer - where would be a good place to take readings? The top plate on the outside? Or, inside the stove on the iron side wall? (my temp gun goes to 950-degrees F)
    Thank you!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    Not many Winerwarm owners here.

With good dry wood you can engage the cat at lower temps. The Encore I engage the cat at higher temps as it seems to work better that way. The Defiant I engage the cat as low as 300.

Hard to say what the operating temp are for your insert as I have never owned one and insert temps are different than stove temps.
  3. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    To add to the confusion... I needed to get my stovetop temp up to 550F before engaging, when I kept my thermometer on the top-load door. Now that I have a pot of water sitting there, I moved my thermometer to the front right corner if the stovetop. I find I need to engage when that spot reads 275 - 300F.
  4. steven schultz

steven schultz New Member

Thank you very much. I have a question in to the folks at VC and will report the results if I hear back.
    The temperatures you cite - are those the actual surface metal temperatures as opposed to the adjusted reading that some stick-on thermometers give (to simulate the inside temp)?
    Thanks again.
  5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I would like to see one of those. Got a link?
  6. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    If more insert owners realized that we would see fewer posts about cracked inserts.
  7. HotCoals

HotCoals Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester,Ny.
    Its my understanding that any surface mount thermometer only gives you about half of what the temp is inside.
    Others might know diff..I dunno.
  8. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    The inside and surface temps will never track by any standard offset or ratio. They are decoupled by time and by what is happening outside the stove. You can find a range of temperatures of more than 200F on various surfaces of your stove, and any of them can be drastically altered by circulating a little air around the stove, all while not really affecting internal temps much.

Maybe one could find some steady-state offset, for a given install under "normal" conditions, whatever they may be. However, with a wood fire being very dynamic (no continuous addition of fuel), it's tough to even find a steady-state condition.
  9. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Is what he said. Nothing about inside temps or half anything. Mag thermos show surface metal temp. I wanna see one of those with "adjusted reading". >>