Ideal size to split wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

redyute

Feeling the Heat
Dec 4, 2015
southern maryland
So I have tons of red white and pin oak that I split last August around 4 or 5 cords, I was thinking being split for 12 months that they should be good to burn this winter, but I got my moisture meter today and did some testing and found out that the wood still has 40% moisture content. I check the outside and it measures like between 6-9% but once I split it open and check, it measures 40%. I split my wood big cause my insert takes 24" logs and I like throwing big pieces in there cause they burn long but it seems I might have to split them smaller so they can dry faster I assume, any thoughts?

Three years is great but your oak will be at 20% or below in two years. Your climate will allow that with two drying seasons.

Reactions: TedyOH
Three years is great but your oak will be at 20% or below in two years. Your climate will allow that with two drying seasons.

Yeah I got to figure out what imma do this winter quick, just got my brand new catalytic insert ordered now my wood isn't dried dam.

It will dry faster the smaller you split it. The outer edges will dry pretty fast but oak is pretty notorious for being slow to give up its moisture. Also, it will dry fastest if stacked single row, top covered, and off the ground. Tough task to get that wood dry enough for this winter.

Reactions: St. Coemgen
It will dry faster the smaller you split it. The outer edges will dry pretty fast but oak is pretty notorious for being slow to give up its moisture. Also, it will dry fastest if stacked single row, top covered, and off the ground. Tough task to get that wood dry enough for this winter.

I started splitting them smaller today and restacking them on pallets with good space in between we stay high 90 degrees and I'm guessing I still have at least 6 good more weeks before the weather changes if I'm not comfortable with it by the end of next month I might just break down and buy a cord of hopefully seasoned wood. Got some gum I didn't want to split guess I will be splitting that lol.

Reactions: red oak
I started splitting them smaller today and restacking them on pallets with good space in between we stay high 90 degrees and I'm guessing I still have at least 6 good more weeks before the weather changes if I'm not comfortable with it by the end of next month I might just break down and buy a cord of hopefully seasoned wood. Got some gum I didn't want to split guess I will be splitting that lol.

Good luck splitting that gum! If you had an old stove like me I wouldn't be concerned but the newer stoves do much better with dry wood. Be careful buying wood - you may find the wood you have is more seasoned than what you can buy! Some firewood dealers do not split until right before it's sold and I have seen some have it stored in huge piles where very little drying can take place.

Good luck splitting that gum! If you had an old stove like me I wouldn't be concerned but the newer stoves do much better with dry wood. Be careful buying wood - you may find the wood you have is more seasoned than what you can buy! Some firewood dealers do not split until right before it's sold and I have seen some have it stored in huge piles where very little drying can take place.
exactly why I'm not fussy about buying wood,yeah this gum is a major pain in the ass to split or I should say rip lol

exactly why I'm not fussy about buying wood,yeah this gum is a major pain in the ass to split or I should say rip lol

Yeah the last time I had gum I cut most of it into cookies - an absolute beast to split! Good luck!

Reactions: cptoneleg
that's exactly what I plan on doing lol
Yep cut that Gum in cookies burns great, I would not recommend buying wood it probably will not be as dry as what you have. You doing right by splitting what you have smaller. The first year is hardest but it gets better.

Yep cut that Gum in cookies burns great, I would not recommend buying wood it probably will not be as dry as what you have. You doing right by splitting what you have smaller. The first year is hardest but it gets better.

yeah I know its gonna be a tough one lol

So today I went out and checked the moisture content in the red oak I split smaller and it went from over 40% to 33 in just 5 days, that's pretty cool so now I'm thinking imma split as much as I can smaller this weekend. Now I checked the moisture in the gum I sliced into cookies and the content went from over 40 to 28 in 5 days. Cutting in cookies was getting on my nerves so I didn't cut much but seeing how fast its drying imma go ahead and cut the rest of it in cookies cause at that rate of drying it will be perfect by the time burning season comes.

So today I went out and checked the moisture content in the red oak I split smaller and it went from over 40% to 33 in just 5 days, that's pretty cool so now I'm thinking imma split as much as I can smaller this weekend. Now I checked the moisture in the gum I sliced into cookies and the content went from over 40 to 28 in 5 days. Cutting in cookies was getting on my nerves so I didn't cut much but seeing how fast its drying imma go ahead and cut the rest of it in cookies cause at that rate of drying it will be perfect by the time burning season comes.

I'm glad to hear that it's drying. Wood cut into cookies should dry faster as more moisture will leave out of the ends. You should know that the drying rate is not consistent, it will slow down after the first couple of weeks. The red oak in particular will take awhile to get down another 8 points I'm guessing. If you can get it down to 25% is should burn ok, especially if you mix in some drier stuff with it.

I'd be hunting for any standing dead if I were you.......good luck with the oak - I got mine dry (below 20%) in 14 months (2 summers) - but in an ideal spot, small open field, end grain facing north / south, uncovered, gets full sun 12 to 14 hours in the summer.

I'd be hunting for any standing dead if I were you.......good luck with the oak - I got mine dry (below 20%) in 14 months (2 summers) - but in an ideal spot, small open field, end grain facing north / south, uncovered, gets full sun 12 to 14 hours in the summer.
The pin oak I have split is low 30's moisture content and I have about a chord,plus some gum it's just the red oak that's still a little wet. Thinking I should be good with not having to burn the red oak, I only burn 2 chords max per season and that was with my wood hungry fire place so I'm thing I should be ok lol we shall see. There actually is a dead red oak I threw down last summer I probably can split to

I think your best bet now is to try a poor man's solar kiln and get some shrink wrap around the oak if you have it in a nice sunny spot. Do some searching and you will find threads about it.

See if you can find some compressed wood blocks. They work really well. If it gets you thru the first year you will be fine next year if you start getting your wood together now for the future.

Also see if you can buy a cord or 2 and get it stacked for next year just in case . After that just start busting your butt to get 3 years ahead. This year is probably a wash for the most part. Don't worry, it happens to most people .

I think your best bet now is to try a poor man's solar kiln and get some shrink wrap around the oak if you have it in a nice sunny spot. Do some searching and you will find threads about it.

See if you can find some compressed wood blocks. They work really well. If it gets you thru the first year you will be fine next year if you start getting your wood together now for the future.

Also see if you can buy a cord or 2 and get it stacked for next year just in case . After that just start busting your butt to get 3 years ahead. This year is probably a wash for the most part. Don't worry, it happens to most people .
imma look into the compressed wood bricks

So it seems there isn't any dealers selling these bricks in my area, tractor supply sells the redstone fuel but they don't have good reviews, I found liberty bricks in Richmond va 170. a ton but its an hour and a half drive and only does pick ups on Friday and Saturdays, sucks cause I'm off sunday Mondays lol.

So its official I just spoke to the dude at liberty bricks and will meet him on Monday morning for a ton of bricks, said he is gonna give it to me for $160

Reactions: MrsD
So its official I just spoke to the dude at liberty bricks and will meet him on Monday morning for a ton of bricks, said he is gonna give it to me for $160

Good deal. The tractor supply ones aren't bad, they go on sale too. Worth it then . You can mix a few bricks with subpar wood and get a good burn .

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
Good deal. The tractor supply ones aren't bad, they go on sale too. Worth it then . You can mix a few bricks with subpar wood and get a good burn .
Yep I'm excited about this season and my new stove I should have by wednesday

Found a dead oak right down the street from my house. Now I know It won't be ready for this season but should be good for next year, I'm thinking it's a red oak.
20160919_120421.jpg 20160919_120327.jpg 20160919_120448.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a big ole tree there and might be laced with some fun stuff that will leave you scratching your head ...and everything else. Good hot wood, might be worth it.