Ideal Steel may not fit.....Help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosscut

Feb 17, 2016
Southwest VA
On the ragged edge of not being able to use the ash pan with rear vent. Can someone provide me with an accurate measurements of the following from an Ideal Steel:

1. Distance from floor to top of stove pipe on a rear vent installation.
2. Distance from floor to lowest part of ash pan.

The company has been great in replying to my questions, but 1/4" could really make a difference here since my fireplace is only about 28 1/4" high and Woodstock says that 25.5" centerline is the lowest you can go with the ash pan. As you can see, I'm looking at 1/4" interference. I wouldn't be opposed to running the pipe downill 1/4" over the 18" or so of horizontal run since the flue draws very well with my current stove. I trust their info, but sometimes info gets rounded up or down for simplicity.

Thanks.

I would love to help you but I'm all setup for top vent with it raised the whole way.

On the ragged edge of not being able to use the ash pan with rear vent. Can someone provide me with an accurate measurements of the following from an Ideal Steel:

1. Distance from floor to top of stove pipe on a rear vent installation.
2. Distance from floor to lowest part of ash pan.

The company has been great in replying to my questions, but 1/4" could really make a difference here since my fireplace is only about 28 1/4" high and Woodstock says that 25.5" centerline is the lowest you can go with the ash pan. As you can see, I'm looking at 1/4" interference. I wouldn't be opposed to running the pipe downill 1/4" over the 18" or so of horizontal run since the flue draws very well with my current stove. I trust their info, but sometimes info gets rounded up or down for simplicity.

Thanks.
Could you make more room?

Concrete floor...no option here. Only other mod would be cutting lintel over fireplace.

After further investigation, the floor is not exactly level. 28 on one side and almost 29 on the other. I need to check height from where stove will sit. Floor could be lower there. Old house.....nothing is flat, square or plumb.

Standard model would fit without tray, but I would like to get the works package that is on sale.

Maybe cut the legs if it's concrete no worries. Unless not enough room for ashpan

Here is mine. I was wrong I'm not at full height. That will be a summer project for me. I want it as high as I can.

Attachments

• 20160217_212019.jpg
    20160217_212019.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 333
The ash pan door swings down when you open it. Not sure you would want to risk it. The lever on the ash pan would hit the floor too I bet.

Reactions: begreen
Thanks JA600L. Could you measure height of stove and clearance under ash pan? That will tell me a lot.

And maybe which position your height is set at.

Thanks again for your input.

Thanks JA600L. Could you measure height of stove and clearance under ash pan? That will tell me a lot.

And maybe which position your height is set at.

Thanks again for your input.

3 1/4" to the lowest part of the ash pan which is the door. My hearth is kind of uneven tile though keep that in mind. It looks like I am on the 3rd hole from the bottom.

Here's the Absolute Steel, which is the same ashpan. The ashpan is 3.5" off the hearth, but note the door is level when fully open due to the handle hitting the hearth, and the pan will not come out if the door isn't fully open. The handle might be bent to gain a little room...
DSC05589.JPG DSC05591.JPG

The ash pan door swings down when you open it. Not sure you would want to risk it. The lever on the ash pan would hit the floor too I bet.
Woodstock said ash pan wod work at 25.5 vent center height (2nd lowest position) but not at 24.5. Is it because the pan hits or the door or latch? Thanks.

Here's the Absolute Steel, which is the same ashpan. The ashpan is 3.5" off the hearth, but note the door is level when fully open due to the handle hitting the hearth, and the pan will not come out if the door isn't fully open. The handle might be bent to gain a little room...
View attachment 175160 View attachment 175161
Great pics. Thanks. What is the clearance under the door when it is open? I could redesign the latch if needed.

Great pics. Thanks. What is the clearance under the door when it is open? I could redesign the latch if needed.

Looks like 1.5" to the bolt holding the latch on. It is long (could be trimmed), so maybe another quarter inch there. The bottom of the door itself is at 2 5/8".
DSC05592.JPG

Looks like 1.5" to the bolt holding the latch on. It is long (could be trimmed), so maybe another quarter inch there. The bottom of the door itself is at 2 5/8".
View attachment 175162
Thanks to everyone for the input. This puzzle is starting to come together. Would the ash pan still come out if the end of the door was 1/2" or so higher when open? It look like there's some space between the pan bottom and the door.

Here's the Absolute Steel, which is the same ashpan.
Looks like the handle is different than the ISH... on mine the handle is perfectly parallel to the ash pan door not sticking out at an angle.

So I just got out the ruler to check mine. At the minimum leg position there is exactly 1" of gap between the ash pan handle and the hearth, but realize I made my brick hearth myself and it is the first time I ever did masonary work... so that 1" could be +/- a tiny bit since it might not be perfectly level.

I think you could even trim 1/4-1/2" off the legs to get it a bit lower, but that is just a guess. It would be a lot of fuss to modify the handle, but measuring mine reveals that the handle protrudes beyond the bolt by 1/4" and the bolt protrudes beyond the nut just a smidgen under a 1/4". So with a lot of hassle, you could potentially modify the handle to be a hair under 1/2" less but that is getting pretty extreme IMO.

EDIT>Oh crap hold on that is not right... completely forgot I have bricks under the legs adding height... let me remeasure...
sorry about that subtract the thickness of a brick from my dimensions. 2 1/4" but due to roughness of the brick I was measuring it closer to 2 3/8" so at minimum leg position the handle would be -1 1/4-3/8" under the hearth surface. So maybe that is why the minimum with ash pan is 1" higher. The exta 1/4 to 3/8 might just be the unevenness of my hearth bricks or maybe the ash pan door doesn't have to open quite that far to get the pan out. Mine is burning on a full burn right now, so not going to experiment with pulling the ash pan actually out.

Last edited:
JA600L said his IS had 3 1/4 clearance in hole 3. Assuming the 5" total adjustment, he could drop 2" and still have 1 1/4" clearance. The door opening and/or latch seems to be the limiting factor.

JA600L said his IS had 3 1/4 clearance in hole 3. Assuming the 5" total adjustment, he could drop 2" and still have 1 1/4" clearance. The door opening and/or latch seems to be the limiting factor.

Looking at his picture he is 3rd from the highest position... 4 from the lowest. That would mean if his 3 1/4" clearance was accurate, on minimum height (3" lower) he would have 1/4" of space. So we are off by a bit over and inch. At this point I'd say trust his, it's 11 PM at night and I got up at 3:50 AM, and I just finished a beer, so maybe I'll remeasure it all again tomorrow lol.

JA, we're you measuring to the lowest point with the ash pan door closed or open, and including the handle?

There are 2 holes below my setting. I had the ash pan door closed.

Sounds like the ash pan door is the limiting factor. If you put a 2" block under the lowest part of the ash pan (probably the latch) when it is open, would the tray still come out? That would simulate dropping the stove by 2" to the bottom position. 1/4" clearance is OK for me.....stove will be on concrete, and I can use a layer of thin high temp boiler insulation under it if I have to. Thanks.

2 things, the ash pan door drops lower when it is open, need to measure the lowest point with the ash pan door open... and I think your looking at the height adjustment holes backwards. From your own picture you have 3 more holes to go for minimum height, which is 3" less. So that puts your measurements pretty close to mine I think.

Here is your picture, you can go 2" higher or 3" lower than your current position:
20160217_212019edit.jpg

2 things, the ash pan door drops lower when it is open, need to measure the lowest point with the ash pan door open... and I think your looking at the height adjustment holes backwards. From your own picture you have 3 more holes to go for minimum height, which is 3" less. So that puts your measurements pretty close to mine I think.

Here is your picture, you can go 2" higher or 3" lower than your current position:
View attachment 175201

Yep 2 holes below my setting ;).

I went through this exact same exercise last year after I put a deposit on an IS. I ended up getting a PH but I see you have over one inch more height than I do and I was an inch too short so I think you can pull it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.