Ideal Steel shot down - CLEAN burning insert recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atmarx

Nov 20, 2014
PA
So... got lots of good advice on here last year regarding my old Buck 27000, but after seeing how dirty it burns even with the driest of wood and best practices, I'm left thinking: it's new stove time.

I had my heart set on Woodstock's Ideal Steel -- hands down looks like the cleanest burning stove out there. And my wife was supportive -- until I chalk-outlined what the new floor plan would look like. She then decided that she wants whatever we put in to remain an insert flush with the existing masonry. Dreams = squashed.

So, I have just shy of 30" of height to work with, and a one-year old 8" SS flue liner I dropped down last fall. My goal is CLEAN heat. I'm fairly set on having a secondary burn AND a cat -- I want every last BTU I can get. I have an available source of outside air if needed (I ran a line last year to be able to hook up my shopvac outside through the wall for cleaning). I'm in south-eastern PA, so winters aren't _harsh_, although two years ago we lost power for a few days and the Buck was the only thing we had to keep the house warm.

I had been so set on the Ideal Steel that I haven't really looked at any inserts in the past two years. I'd rather save (and subsequently spend) up to $4k (I can't believe I'm writing that...) if it means getting a better stove. My target budget is under $2.5k though.

And yes, I read through the 'read this before you post asking for recommendations' -- I'm hoping my desired specs are targeted enough that I'm not asking too open-ended of a question.

Also, anybody want to buy a Buck 27000? ;)

Edit: also, an ash pan would be wonderful. But less important than the other stuff.

Last edited:
The issues with the Regency CI2600 (or Hampton H400) appear to have been addressed. Folks with new units seem pleased with the performance.

Definitely looks like a contender. Also saw something called the Hybrid-Fyre (from Avalon? Lopi?) that has similar features but a larger firebox. Time to hunt down some reviews. Good to know that this is at least do-able (my wife is smiling contentedly knowing she's won the woodstove battle...)

Last edited:
Good to know that this is at least do-able (my wife is smiling contentedly knowing she's won the woodstove battle...)

They usually do.

With that 8" liner I would also take a look at the Kuma Sequoia. However, be aware that this insert has quite the BTU output.

Other options:
BlazeKing Princess (not sure if that gets the wife's approval)
Travis Industry (Lopi, Avalon, FireplaceXtraordinaire) Large Flush Hybrid. Same insert, different outside look. There were recent discussions about the problematic cat placement above the secondaries without flame shield and the baffle warping. I would look at those first: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/baffle-messed-up.146551/ and https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...condaries-cat-more-often.141275/#post-1968784

She's being unreasonable. Said no female ever, until just this moment.

:p

Reactions: Jags
Looks like the CI2600 is the way to go until Travis revisits the flame impingement issue. The only place I can find an online price for in in my general vicinity (without actually calling around) is $4200 installed. Does that sound about right? What could I reasonably expect to pay if I opt to self-install?

Looks like the CI2600 is the way to go until Travis revisits the flame impingement issue. The only place I can find an online price for in in my general vicinity (without actually calling around) is $4200 installed. Does that sound about right? What could I reasonably expect to pay if I opt to self-install?

Check this thread: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-ci2600-fireplace-insert-risky-costly.132252/ I am sure someone posted their purchase price in there or you can just ask. However, $4200 installed sounds cheap. I would expect that to be the price of the insert itself with liner and installation extra.

You said about when the power goes out. Does that mean you want to be able to cook on top?

She then decided that she wants whatever we put in to remain an insert flush with the existing masonry.
How many rounds has this fight gone? Take a breather in the corner a bit and then get back into the ring! Anything worth wanting is worth fighting for. :)

If you want every last BTU, the free standing will give it to you better than an insert. Sounds like you want function, she wants form. Only you can decide if it is worth a bit more negotiation to realize your dream. Good Luck!

Reactions: Woody harrelson
Did you show her the progress?

I agree with HarvestMan. The difference in BTU efficiency between inserts is pailed in comparison to the difference between a free standing stove and an insert. Freestanding stoves pour out the heat from all sides and don't all need a blower (important during power outages).

I'd go another round but it sounds like that battle is lost.

Why did you drop in an 8" liner just a year ago and then decide to switch stoves?

Last edited:
How tall is your total stack height? An 8" liner hooked up to some of these stingy stoves could have draft issues. Not all do, but just pointing it out.

Chimney is just over twenty feet. I installed the 8" because that's what came out of the Buck. I recognize that this was a bad decision... It's well insulated and NEVER coming out, so if I have to drop a 6" inside of it, I'm not opposed to that.

As for form vs function, that's the story of our marriage... She wanted a gas stove in the front room (which she got and loves), and I get to deal with the wood. Just went another round on the stove argument - no dice. It's insert or bust.

I want to get away from the Buck because of how dirty it burns. Looks like new stoves get easily twice the heat out of the same amount of wood.

As for form vs function, that's the story of our marriage... She wanted a gas stove in the front room (which she got and loves), and I get to deal with the wood. Just went another round on the stove argument - no dice. It's insert or bust.

Did you try to appeal to her "practical side"?

Trying to help you here !

Reactions: JA600L
That new(er) Buck gives me a reason for having dropped the 8" liner...

She does has a point that we've got built-in bookshelves on either side that hold a majority of the kids toys, so with a stove bumped out into the room, it makes navigating the room dangerous (we've got a 3 and 1 y/o). If we go insert, it's less likely they'll bump into it. (I guess that's one point for function in her favor)

Looks like the short list is the Buck 91, the Regency CI2600, and maybe the Hybrid-Fyre if Travis gets the design issues resolved.

A cooktop would be great, but it doesn't seem like that's realistic on an insert. Our gas stove (Earth Stove TG300DV) has a grate that looks like you could put a pan on it, but it's only really good for keeping a cup of coffee warm. I had visions of making eggs and boiling water on the Ideal Steel since the cooktop is directly over the cat... But if off-the-grid is really all that important to me, I'd probably be better off investing in some solar panels.

Thanks for your suggestions -- time to set some Craigslist alerts.

She does has a point that we've got built-in bookshelves on either side that hold a majority of the kids toys, so with a stove bumped out into the room, it makes navigating the room dangerous (we've got a 3 and 1 y/o). If we go insert, it's less likely they'll bump into it. (I guess that's one point for function in her favor)

"NO ..... HOT .... DON'T TOUCH" goes a longgg way.

Reactions: Woody harrelson
Bring your wife to the dealer that sells Travis Flush Hybrid-Fyre and you not gonna have problem of choosing of what to put in your fireplace . We have seen some stoves before checking out FPX in person. They all are pretty in pictures. But the FPX does look better in person. The aesthetics just blew me away. I went from budget of $2000-$2500 to $3500 in no time. It does not scream "furnace" , it does look like HD TV with view of fire in it. They had BK on display too, but there is no chance it would fly. I'm all for practicality and efficiency and I like the concept of freestanders and BK inserts with crazy burn times. I'm still reminding my wife that I wanted free stander , but , honestly, just to remind her that i've made "sacrifice" for her.
We had some discussions with other owners about some issues, but most of them were resolved by simple cleaning of the cat or using dry wood etc.
It burns really clean, no smoke, very fine ash. I probably would go with it again if I had to choose. May be after some flirting with BK inserts.

Last edited:
(my wife is smiling contentedly knowing she's won the woodstove battle...)
As a loser in a similar battle, I'd encourage you to regroup and fight on. Try to look past the built-in argument winners that come standard on wives and come at it with hard data, reason and common sense. Oh, nevermind. Good luck with your new insert!

"Honey, how 'bout a compromise? We put the IS in for one year and if you don't like it, I'll sell it."
(Bet it will stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.