Ideal Steel Soapstone Liner Option. How Will This Affect It's Performance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get it with the soapstone. Tom could use the extra money for retirement.

The transfer rate is not affected at all. Added mass has no effect on the rate of trans, just the time.
If the transfer rate is slowed there will be more heat in the box..thus stronger draft.

If the transfer rate is slowed there will be more heat in the box..thus stronger draft.

There is no slowing of transfer rate. It is just transferring to the stone and then to the living space. Instead of faster transfer to the living space. Give it up. Ain't a bunch of complaints about over drafting rock stoves.

Not at all. That rock is gonna soak heat just like the water. A temp differential thing Dr. Heat.
yeah but the rock is stationary and can only hold so much.

It's all splitting hairs anywho.
Buy what you like /want.

Then it is out into the house. Done with this one.

You ever see a soapstone lined furnace?
Ever notice how thin a heat exchanger is ?

Yes, ash is a good insulator. There are reports of coals staying hot in the ash can a couple days after a stove cleaning.

I have had ashes in my larger can outside glowing red a week after I emptied my inside can......ash can keep little coals hot for a long time.

How do stoves like this work with less than ideal wood? In other words, will the cat light off and work if the wood is over 20% moisture? My goal is to get 3 years out, but right now I'm struggling to make 2.

Woodstock did a test with the Progress Hybrid on their blog, it performed well with less than ideal wood. Another reason to love their product (IMHO).

we didn't want the andirons

Why not? I mean I agree with you, that they seem to be in the way......we want them for the chance that we have to load EW, we can prevent wood from rolling into the glass. We plan on loading NS 90% of the time.

But either way, you agree that if you don't want a particular feature or two, it is still simpler to just get the works.

The andirons (at least the last I heard) are very simple to remove.......we may end up removing our since we will load NS anyway.

Put the deposit down on Friday......waiting on Lauren to send a concept on my custom design back........I am excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whether it's transferring to the stone (which is unsightly and over rated) or the room, it is nonetheless transferring. At the same rate. With no more heat going up the flue than any other stove.

You ever see a soapstone lined furnace?
Ever notice how thin a heat exchanger is ?

My experience with wood furnaces is exceedingly limited, but they are not space heaters (like stoves and inserts) and wouldn't benefit from the extra mass (such that that benefit exists).

Here are the basics...

1. If it affected performance in any way, the stove would not be able to be modified or sold under the listing agreement and EPA rules.
2. No one here knows or could know even if it did affect the performance.

If anyone knows, it's the company themselves. Give them a call and mention #1 above.

Closing.....

Reactions: rdust
Status
Not open for further replies.